Merging RINEX 2.11 Data

Since OS Net in the UK updated their network to deliver RINEX 3.x files it’s no longer possible to download either a full day or a span of hours of RINEX 2.11. We have found RINEX 2.11 to be the most stable for post processing so it’s a real miss not being able to download a single file spanning several hours, instead you have to download hourly files individually. I’ve had mixed results with RTKConv but found this (rather old) utility that works great:

https://geodesyworld.github.io/SOFTS/manyrins.htm

The utility works a treat, I know you can use wildcards in RTKPost but some software (RedToolbox as an example) requires a single observation file.

1 Like

Back in the old days using the Garmin 12XL, I used his routines in a Corvallis Micro Technology PC5 field computer. It had an early dos operating system and you could program it in “basic” or C+ . Great field computer as I still have it from the 90’s. You could hook up via rs-232 ports. I used mine locating creek boundaries in land surveying. I used the programs Dennis Milbert wrote in the PC5 with my Garmin 12XL for field use.

Back in the office, I would download the rinex files and PP the data with our early Trimble software. We would have a Trimble 4800 base on the project site to PP with. Accuracies using the Garmin 12XL were actually pretty good for creek boundaries, usually less than 1 meter. We didn’t care about the vertical component, but I had it mounted on top of
a bipod. Occupation times locating the creek was about 5 minutes per station.

Brings back great memories… short baselines for PP are your friend.

Hi Rory,

We’re going to support multiple RINEX files uploading in our Emlid Studio software. This way, you won’t need a separate tool to merge the data. I’ll keep you posted on the news!

2 Likes

Great news!

Hi Rory,

I’m back with the news :wink: Emlid Studio is now out of beta and supports uploading several base files for processing. Would be nice to know how it works for you!

1 Like

Hi Kseniia,

does it only support several base files or also several navigation files?
I’ve tried it with 2 nav files (.g and .n) but the both together didn’t work. (Static, solutions format lat/lon and later x/y/z).

Hi Marius,

Several navigation files should work too. Does the processing work well when you upload only one file? Do you store the files on your PC or an external storage device?

1 Like

Hi Kseniia,

That’s great news! I have a job coming up in the next week that we will need to post process the base so I will give it a go.

Thanks!

1 Like