Meet the Emlid Flow app with the linework, coding, and more

In today’s world that is the cost of the latest and greatest in perpetuity.

Sounds like a request for perpetual with modules a la carte with on-the-fly upgrade fees. It’s like asking AutoCAD to not charge a maintenance fee and expecting to get 2023 for free when it comes out… You’ll pay at some point. We prefer to accept it as an operational cost.

But it’s wrong and we’re disagree with this method of payments. Sorry but we as Emlid users we don’t have support from Emlid. And I’m so mad with that, when I see other companies what’s offered to their customers.

What’s wrong? The fact that others find this a completely acceptable model? Customer support is a high percentage of the reason we decided to go with Emlid, just like DroneDeploy. These people are on top of it. We tried two others at a similar price point and it’s not even close.

Did you check comments in Facebook group, How many people said it’s expensive. If you think this method it’s okay, I promise to you we will sell our products and gonna buy others, when other company sells their application they don’t require rent per month like Emlid.

Facebook? That’s almost as bad as Reddit. You’ll find the best tool one way or another.

But no one is forcing you to jump on the subscription? You can still use whatever software you like with your Emlid units. And you still have a free companion-app in Emlid Flow.

1 Like

We don’t mind paying , but two issue’s we have are the app store is not charging us your advertised pricing structure’s (after currency exchange) and based on that as you say , more features to come, we are not entirely happy paying a premium price for features that are not there yet.
And to us is not mature enough for this cost, we run both android and ios , and android wants to charge the same amount from the play store , so to access the same profile across ios and android has just doubled in cost , and android is so buggy we can’t even log in after the flow update.

2 Likes

But why an a basic tool like code or line must be “luxury” on Emlid Flow and we must pay for this “luxury”.

1 Like

e uma vergonha cobrar pelo aplicativo, se usamos o gps da emlid…
pessoal troquem pelo stones vem completo, com radio 2w e aplicativo full…sem enrolação

1 Like

pedra = S T ON E s

Hi!
I will comment on my experience and I hope it helps in understanding the reality of Brazil.
We mostly use Emlid equipment to make urban and rural areas.
We know that the equipment, with its 0.1W radio, does not support obstacles. I just bought an external radio to continue using it in a rural environment (so as not to buy another brand with a more powerful radio), worth 80% of the sale price of an Emlid.

In addition, a Survpad license to be able to use line functions, line staking, CAD functions, among others, in the field. EmlidFlow’s 1-year price pays for a lifetime license here.

I say all this because, despite being extremely satisfied with the stability, updates and usability of the Emlid, it is becoming an expensive device to use in Brazil compared to other brands already mentioned by other colleagues.

I participate in several groups of topographers, all over Brazil, and I can say that it is not a specific view, but a general one.

I know there is an attempt to make the product even better and also viable ($$), but I wanted to give feedback on the situation that is built in Brazil.
Maybe make a fixed amount annually, and receive the updates until the end of the year, and then decide whether to pay for the next ones.
We appreciate the community and conversations on the Forum. Please take into account the Brazilian market and its competitiveness, several colleagues, in new acquisitions, are already opting for that Swiss brand, or the American one, or the Chinese one.
Again, thanks for the constant thought of improvements.

6 Likes

Hi Ray,

You don’t need to pay twice, the subscription is tied to the account. So you can use the same subscription on iOS, Android and Flow 360.

The mobile stores currently display monthly prices only, which are more expensive. You can get the Survey Plan for $25/mo, with a yearly plan at flow360.emlid.com.

1 Like

Joao, thank you very much for the structured feedback! We are aware of the situation in Brazil and would love to make it right for our users, while also making sure that our development efforts are sustainable in the long term. Many of the things we stand for, like regular updates for our devices and constant introduction of new features require a lot of resources, and we arrived to a point where we just had to start charging for some of them. There is still so much stuff that is available for free from us - Support, Firmware updates (including really major ones), Emlid Studio and Emlid Caster. Add to that Emlid Flow and even Emlid Flow 360, which are still free and include quite a lot of features.

5 Likes

Hi Igor,

Could you please tell us something about the features Emlid intends to integrate into the software? A rough outline for 2023 would be nice.

Perhaps we could also use this thread to discuss the customers’ wishes?

Once it’s done, it’s done. :man_shrugging:t2:

Thanks and Regards

Buddy

1 Like

Found this post after I already posted in another sub forum in which I list why I’m disappointed that emlid is going to subscription model.

You know the common things that I see in the comments to this post?

1. People are upset that emlid is going to subscription model. And some people (myself included) almost fell betrayed as this wasnt the model we, or at least I believed emlid was in. emlid has made updates before without any cost to us users. How do we know that they arent going to release another update with more features and then it’ll be 100/mo to use those features?

2. The people that seem to be ok with this change all seem to mention one thing in common. “Everyone else is doing it”. Yeah they are, which is exactly why some of us chose emlid. Everyone uses the subscription model because they get more money out of it. Logical. But I really believed emlid was going for something different.

Instead what emlid did was to rely on it’s startup potential and grew it’s use base under the guise that they wanted to “disrupt” the industry. Well that’s the story they sold until they had enough users that were committed enough not to leave once they rolled out their subscription. It’s a common technique. It pisses some people off, (like me), but companies ignores that and just keeps going. Eventually because everyone likes their product, they hang in there and pay the damn subscription.

Now every company has done this to the point you can’t go anywhere without paying a subscription. All because people don’t want to leave and not support a company doing crap like this. The only way not to have a subscription model for these companies is to not support it. Which of course isnt going to happen becuse we are so far into the rabbit hole already…

Emlid, all they saw the entire time wasn’t a product to help people get out of a model the entire industry supports, but instead it was a model they were striving for the entire time. All they needed was enough people on board before they could do it.

Shame emlid

3 Likes

After years of begging and pleading, you finally managed to add the absolute basic function of drawing lines between points to the surveying software. And now you’re seriously charging $45 per month for it?

I am absolutely disappointed. I just need lines, no cloud or other features. Just lines! For 45$ per month. Unbelievable.

7 Likes

Emlid does the right thing to search for a business model that works in the long run. I sincerely hope that this app can help them find a good source of revenue that helps them keep up all the hard work they do for us. Awesome updates, responsive support, and great hardware at a unseen price point. They are not sunsetting anything to force you into the subscription. Instead they offer some added value - and its up to you to accept the proposal or not.

With that said, just a minor nitpick on the presentation of the pricing model. Using ios from sweden, it costs alot more than advertised on your webpage. I assume its the apple tax at work.

4 Likes

You hope they find a good source of revenue to continue what they’re doing?

They somehow didn’t need that new source of revenue to make a new product line the rsx. They also obviously didn’t need it to provide these updates and support before. Why do they need it now? Because they want a bigger piece of the money pie. Which is understandable but also disappointing as that isn’t what they led is users to believe they would be doing that.

You say they aren’t sunsetting anything to force us into the subscription model.

Well they aren’t doing that yet… No one thought they would implement a subscription model either, but here we are. If they go along with every other company that has implemented this type of income model, you can bet they will phase it out.

It’s all just a shame…

1. I can’t quite put my finger on it but IMO this is pretty short-sided. I want to make a poll of how long the people having heartburn have been in the community and been using Emlid gear. I feel like there is a lack of understanding how Survey functions work mathematically let alone make a piece of ultra accurate equipment do all those things in real time on a mobile device. We’re out of the kiddy pool here and when you start releasing high end features like this it is literally a different product which is obviously what this is ready for enterprise use. It’s like people are thinking, “I bought AutoCAD, why can’t I get Civil 3D for free?”
  2. I’m pretty sure most people look at Emlid because of how inexpensive it is and it is ready for use with the free software for a large portion of use-cases. People will understand over time that software is no longer just something on a data collector out there. It is being integrated with many other softwares and pushed far beyond what it was even with RV2 and all of this comes with additional costs and quite often mandatory updating to keep the integrations in check. As I stated before Emlid’s initiative to innovation surpasses most companies I have dealt with over the last 20 years so we need to appreciate how much work they are putting in instead of assuming every product they put out is going to be a fit for our use cases. We’ve been using Emlid for just over 6 years so maybe we appreciate the immeasurable improvement in the software from where it was and all the work it took to get to this state.

Honestly I can’t believe they are putting out a product like this for the prices they are charging and still staying in business. Someone knows what they’re doing.

6 Likes