Meet Reach RS: field-ready RTK GNSS receiver

Originally published at: https://emlid.com/meet-reach-rs-field-ready-rtk-gnss-receiver/

It’s been almost one and a half year since the first Reach modules were shipped. During that time we have seen so many amazing projects based on Reach, and received tons of invaluable feedback from our community. We’ve been working hard on improving user experience by adding new features to ReachView, ensuring stability and expanding our documentation. But that were not the only things we were doing.

For the past year we have been also working on something new and now we are ready to show it to you.

Today we proudly unveil Reach RS!

It is a ruggedized, battery-powered RTK GNSS receiver, a ready-to-go solution for surveying, mapping and other applications requiring centimeter accuracy.

Reach RS is a new milestone on the market of affordable RTK GNSS providing amazing user experience in a compact and durable form-factor. Reach RS includes an impressive list of features that are unequaled at the price point.

Several pilot units have been already sent for testing to our most active community members and the first batch is now being manufactured. We have a special offer for early birds – if you pre-order Reach RS now you will not only be among the first to receive it, but also get a $100 discount off each unit making it only $699!

Make sure to secure your units – the offer is limited for the first batch, which is due to ship in mid-March.

Learn more about Reach RS and pre-order with a $100 discount>

@mikhail.avkhimenia

18 Likes

Exciting stuff. Looking forward to see this in action. Good work Emlid :+1:
I also saw you leaked a image at facebook yesterday :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This looks awesome!

1 Like

Looks great but I have a few questions:
-minimum operating temps? I work outside in subfreezing temps and was moving away from batteries
-what antenna is the unit built around?
-IMU integration yet?

Thanks!

TW2706 antenna
-20degress
And Imu according to their spec at the front.

Love the New shiny look on the forum :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This. Is. Awesome!

Does this mean that the IMU and Compass data can now be extracted and used?

I know a few surveyors in the U.S. who will be purchasing some of these :slight_smile:

Congrats! Looks exciting :slight_smile:

Well played, boys! This is going to rock the surveying community. Cant wait to test it out.
@cczeets, as I understand it, the coming plan is to use the IMU as an “e-bubble” to correct for ovservations where the pole is not held vertically, measuring a point at the tip of the rod at a fixed height. Similar to Trimble’s “Surepoint

1 Like

This is very nice. Is this Reach + a battery in a nice case running ReachView?

@michael.asgian, yes it is but with a lot more like a really nice antenna and ground plane and built in LoRa radio for RTK work. Also It is in a weather and shockproof case with 2 adaptors for a poe or base mount. At that price, anyone who is in the survey/GIS/UAV mapping field would be crazy to not grab one.

6 Likes

Hy Emlid Team
congratulations !!!
Amazing device and very nice “aspect”

ciao

Francesco

Did i see a vent hole underneath it?
Does that mean i cant go scuba diving with it? :cry:

1 Like

Does the pole should be included ?

Thank you for your support!

@Eric We have integrated a LiFePo4 battery, these are low temperature resistant and survive very harsh use. Apart from that there is an external power input on a rugged connector. IMU data is coming to both Reach and Reach RS, we are working on that.

@cczeets Thank you! The IMU is WIP, but it is coming :slight_smile: Feel free to point them in our direction :wink:

@Mal_Dowling @vbnhu, @Francesco_sisani Thank you, we are excited too!

@TB_RTK Only in really shallow waters :joy: The vent is for equalizing the pressure during temperature changes in order to avoid condensation inside the device. It is equipped with a molecular filter that lets air through, but not water.

I would also like to thank @Luke_Wijnberg for the picture that you see on the Reach RS page.

@Sylvain_POULAIN The pole is not included as they are hard to ship internationally, but RS is compatible with both camera tripods and standard survey poles.

4 Likes

@igor.vereninov Will you have a precise measurement from the Phase Center of the L1 to the bottom of the female thread connector? This will be very useful when connected to a 2m fixed-height survey rod for an accurate height measurement.

Also, if you create an L1/L2 version of this… you would give Trimble, Topcon, Sokkia, etc. heart palpitations… Not that you haven’t already :wink:

@cczeets All info is on the bottom sticker :ok_hand:

Promise, we will not miss an opportunity to make one if we see it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome…
I have read about lora for long time…
Reach+Lora 30 hours… Awesome…
I love it.

2 Likes

@igor.vereninov Bottom sticker is exactly what I was thinking :smile:
Re: L1/L2; About the ONLY situation where it would be needed, that I can think of right now, is when you don’t have an already established monument within ~12 miles of your site and need an absolute position with minimal observation times. Even then, you would only need L1/L2 on the base. The rover could always be L1 only.

2 Likes

First time i saw RS i thought, Hey, im gonna mod the top cover letters with LED, glowing in the colors blue, red, yellow and green according to the fixed status fix, float, singel etc :sunglasses:
I guess it will interfere with the signals

1 Like