LoRa Radio for 3rd party systems

Perhaps another slightly different approach down the track could be to have the controller that passes/sets up the radio parameters, serial data rate etc, moulded into the DB connector (as a sort of ‘smart’ serial cable) that connects the radio to the receiver. Similar to mass produced USB to serial converter cables.

Radio freq, baud etc settings could be updated by connecting this ‘Emlid LoRa bridge*’ cable up to a laptop etc. using a said serial to USB cable, using a simple program or even just a terminal interface.

I think this is basically what you are aiming for, but without any physical LCD/LED display or interfacing keys present. Could make it cheaper/easier to produce?

I want it easily configurable in the field without any other devices needed.

I know using Trimble equipment, I have had interference from other Trimble units operating on the same frequency/channel. If you went to a job site and found out you had to go back to the office to program your radio, you would be pissed.

If I get everything working properly, my other thought was an Android App connected via Bluetooth to do the setup. I know how to do BT with Arduino but then I need to learn programming for Android.

I will not even consider doing it for any iThingy (iPhone/iPad etc.). Their approval process to use BT with SPP (Serial Port Protocol) is a total pain in the backside. I am sure their are people at Emlid that will attest to this fact!

4 Likes

I get you. My Satel radios I program in a variety of ways depending on the model:

• using LCD display and buttons to select pre-programmed shortcut frequencies/power etc on EAsy 1W radio
  • PC based configuration manager for SLR5 internal radio and for high power base radios.
  • Bluetooth and Android app for Compact 4BT radio

I think the Bluetooth option is a good one (in the fullness of time).

Bold question - would you consider making this open source or an open source type project?

1 Like

Thank you, I sure can come up with a snappy name. I especially like names that describe exactly what the does.

I read a pile of your posts, back when I was trying to get an M+ to work as a Trimble base. But now Trimble almost bores me as I am a full AgOpenGPS Convert. Why drive crooked for such a giant ever unlockable price tag, when you can program your own dreams on a fully featured solid foundation for less.

This winter I want to get @jp-drain-sol code into a nano/sip switch/3d printed dongle package. The “Emlid Lora Bridge” will be a very handy device. The more farmers that can actually use RTK affordably the better, if the governments were actually serious about climate and ecology RTK would be mandatory to use and subsidized heavily.

US agriculture used 800 trillion BTU of energy in 2012 according to their website. If RTK vs waas adoption improves that number even by 0.5% It would save 4 Trillion BTU of energy. Low hanging fruit, that would be 28.8million gallons of diesel equivalent saved in one country.

3 Likes

Hello.
Write what are you know please.

1. John Deere
    StarFire 3000/6000 can I connect a third-party RTK modem to it?
  2. Is it possible to connect a third-party antenna to the monitor? Put something else instead of StarFire 3000/6000. For examole Emlid reach m2.

3)Are you know where i can read more about it?

No, unless things have changed JD 3000/6000 globes do not accept RTCM. JD uses a proprietary format, NCT.

The only ones I know of in the U.S. that have “cracked” it is Digifarm. It is a pay for correction service.

1 Like

Yes?

No.

Deere is its own machine, its own very expensive proprietary machine. Deere is easy to implement but not a cost effective system.

For less than what a standard SF6000 reciever costs with no unlocks, I built an entire AgOpenGPS autosteer with RTK, and basestation. Best part it does send crop data back to the mothership.

3 Likes

I am uderstand that it was bad idea to buy SF6000. But if i have it… There are 2 ways 1)sell all, but i don’t know what buy instead. What Autosteer? Can you tell what are you doing?
2) Sell only antenna.

Don`t understand. Can i connect to monitor Emlid gnss reciever?

Are you crop data from your system?

Good chanell about Autosteer.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FarmerBrianTee/videos

1 Like

i see your video.

Where i can buy part for it?

Deere GPS works great if you just continue to throw money at it. You have to buy a deere tractor, with all Deere Electronics, then you have to unlock all the Deere functionality.
So once you have a $300,000 tractor with $50,000 worth of GPS gear and unlocks it all works great. Then they get you on some yearly Deere subscriptions. All while evey ounce of seed, fertilizer, chemical applied gets reported back to Deere, then when you harvest they know exactly what you harvested as well, and how much cash you have to give them to update your equipment.

I got my parts for AgOpenGPS mainly from china, much like your video. The plastic parts I designed and built myself, they are still in test and design phase.

3 Likes

My man, let me point you in the direction of SOM Survey Instruments

https://somsurveyinstruments.co.za/Buy-Now/Long-Range-Solutions?fbclid=IwAR3-1a_HPV5NDAa-Zc_KL8qaGSfroJCNT-nm0sb_ZhXxSHB9qBKH-zoSqjk

Our 2w system got shipped yesterday, will let you know how it goes, couldn’t justify the extra kit and setup/battery for the 25w system but speaking to the guys there they have a 5/35w system also in the works

A post was split to a new topic: Using radios with Reach M2

Any update on how well you new SOM signal booster is working?
I’ve been having very good results with nothing more than using 3rd party antennas on both the base and rover, but the SOM signal booster looks very interesting.

A 2W radio will increase distance but converting the African currency to USD that comes to almost $1000.

RFD900 is a 1W radio for less than $400 for the pair. Good antennas will throw far.

I use one RFD900 on the base with a generic 3dr on the rover.

Where are you located? Different areas of the world permit different frequencies. In the US, 900 mhz is pretty much an open freq. In some countries this is not the case. You might need 430-450 mhz

Good day G2V.
I’ve been a user of a pair RS+ for almost 3yrs. I’m curious if your 3rd party antenna is just a UHF antenna or does it have other parts with it. Cuz i’ve been thinking an ordinary UHF antenna might help extend range.

Thanks
ALN

Hi,

The antenna(s) that I bought were specially tuned for the 900mhz band that Emild uses (some also worked on multiple bands). I wish I could tell which antenna (make, model & vendor) I’m actually using today. Knowing the most of the 3rd party stuff on Amazon and other internet sites is poor quality, I bought about a dozen different antennas from multiple vendors. (I hate to admit that I didn’t keep track of who sold each antenna). I tried each and every one and used the “best of the best”. Some were total junk, some were OK and two of them were a definite improvement in range. As with most things in life, you mileage may vary.

Perhaps Emlid can offer some higher db antennas for sale. I buy them and I’d guess many of the other users would also (hint…)

I’m currently using a 7 to 9 dbi omnidirectional antenna on the rover, with the Emlid OEM on the base), but I do have a few directional antennas sitting on the work bench that are 11 to 13 dbi directional antenna, similar to this one:

Amazon.com

As I recall, on some of the antennas I tried, I had to purchase (and install) a new connector.

Antennas are cheap. Your time is valuable.

Happy New Year to one and all.

1 Like

Hi G2V,
Thanks for the information.
Happy New year.

Mon