Leica GS 14 vs EMLID RS2+

Just FYI, I have been working for over a year now with a Leica GS 14 and 20+ satellites and an RS2+ with 25+ satellites. both localized from grid to ground. And I get the same horizontal and vertical on every shot. +/- 0.02’ or better.
I also get fewer hiccups with the RS2+ like getting a fix promptly.

5 Likes

Both using Local NTRIP RTK

2 Likes

I think the Leica has better built-in send/receive UHF radios for longer distance than LoRa. (RS3 receive only UHF).

Also hot-swappable battery.

Sounds like future models should incorporate this along with L5 etc, built-in camera for AR staking, laser distancing / with Tilt for remote point collection. Hell might as well throw LiDAR on it! ; )

But yes, overall for the money, ecosystem, and matching precision, Emlid much better value depending on one’s needs.

3 Likes

Hi @mcwllc702,

Thank you for sharing your findings! We’re glad to hear everything is working.

1 Like

My first experience was a recent aerial control job in Western PA. Two GS18 receivers and one RS2+. Leaving one GS18 for a base, I moved the other 2 around with 20 min or longer sessions. Baselines to the CORS stations were fairly long. There were 70 points over 5 days, about 8-10 GS18 base stations with 3 hours or longer sessions.

I can’t say I’m convinced the RS2+ compared favorably over the longer baselines to the CORS stations, but it worked real well with the shorter baselines to the GS18s.

In that scenario the RS2+ was outstanding. I have had a lot issues trying to use my phone as the data collector in RTK mode. Not having a dedicated controller can make for some unwanted technical issues that ate up a lot of time … Obviously a lot of phone and operating system versions for the company to contend with.

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you elaborate on why using a mobile device for data collection is inconvenient to you? Were there any issues?

I use Field Genius for data collection with both the Leica and Emlid units.

I think the interface, software works real well. But, I had a lot of trouble getting the communication with receiver and RTK network to work right … There are so many places to consider in the phone settings when its not working, lots of what ifs … Then you upgrade your phone and start all over again. : ). Dedicated controllers avoid that issue, they come preconfigured to work.

1 Like

I’m sure Emlid has thought of this… in my opinion it would be a good idea to incorporate their software and receivers configuration into a dedicated controller.

This would truly move them into the world class of top of the line low cost receivers.

Rick and Bryan,

Thank you for the explanation! I’ve passed your request to our development team.

Rick,

I just wanted to add that we are also testing the Bluetooth connection on Reach receivers. On iOS, it’s in open Beta and can be activated following this guide. On Android, it’s in close Beta and can be activated following steps from this post. Such connection can be easier than connecting mobile device and Reach to the same Wi-Fi network.

Yes, thanks.

Ive been using it from its earliest stages, and the fact that it was an undocumented feature that was in development probably caused some of my trouble.

On my phone with the wifi turned on, the phone would look for the RS2 to provide internet access. I had a hard time forcing the phone to use cellular for internet while the wifi was on.

Could be an easy switch somewhere that I didn’t know about.

Thanks for your help

Rick,

On some Android phones, we recommend turning off Mobile data and Battery optimization before connecting to the Reach hotspot. But I see your point; the settings can be different on different phone models.

We’re currently working on further checking and testing the Bluetooth connection on Android devices.

1 Like

Hi @olesia.riman !

As discussed in another thread, this is a prime example of why Emlid needs a dedicated controller. Emlid could create all configuration files for each type of receiver. No more interface problems and probably a faster response use of the software.

There are many devices on the market that Emlid could use.

I would hope that this is seriously considered.

3 Likes

Bryan,

Thank you for your input. We have passed your ideas and thoughts to our development team.