Just 1 Firmware Update per year

I think I am not the only one with the opinion that it would be better for Emlid to release a firmware update even once a year in order to have longer testing time so that end users will not have to go through repeated problems after every firmware update.

2 Likes

I usually don’t update until there has been issues resolved that may be brought up by users. I practice this wether it’s hardware or software. Better safe with a stable version than experimenting with an untested release.

2 Likes

Emlid does not realize that we use their equipment for actual work. Errors in our work will result in lost income and if errors are bad it may even lead to legal problems.

1 Like

I think it is our choice to update or not. Normally, if the unit is working Okay without any issues and I don’t need new features in the update, I will not update the unit.

4 Likes

Emlid uses a forced update routine when you boot up and the unit is able to connect to the internet. Not sure if this is still the case.

If it aint broke, don’t fix it is true with any GPS equipment. I have had updates to Trimble systems that were total crap. Only saving grace there is you can backdate the software, hopefully Emlid will permit this someday. Trimble did have certain updates that once installed could not be reverted without a special code from them. For instance with the TMX2050/XCN2050 are Trimble and Case branded respectively. When Version 4.0 came out, their software was separated. You could only update a TMX with Trimble software and a XCN with Case software.

My recommendations on software updates as an end user for business are:

1. READ WHAT WAS IMPROVED IN THE RELEASE NOTES. If it doesn’t truly apply to you, do not upgrade until others have tested and verified.
  2. Never use Beta software for business, even if it has improvements you are looking for unless you are doing #3
  3. Purchase an extra unit for nothing more than testing in your application. You can cut costs by purchasing two M2’s with Lora radios and use it as your test units. There are only a few things the RS2 can do that the M2 cannot but requires what I call a “tinkerer”.

These units are used for so many applications, Emlid cannot feasibly test all situations. There are too many different data collector hardware and software combinations not to mention other 3rd party devices. Some people are doing beginner simple GPS functions while others are doing actual survey work,

Every business tries their best to please their customers but, you have to remember the old adage, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

4 Likes

I think I am not the only one with the opinion that it would be better for Emlid to release a firmware update even once a year in order to have longer testing time so that end users will not have to go through repeated problems after every firmware update.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the updating process! Honest feedback is always welcomed on our forum.

Frequent firmware updates allow us to provide you with necessary features faster. By limiting what comes into the new update, we focus on the essential things at the moment. This way, we can test the latest additions and improvements more thoroughly. So with the chosen frequency of the releases, we maintain their stability better.

To give you an overview of the changes we will make, we have special Beta updates. Working with them can get you the taste of the new features. These versions may indeed contain some bugs. The reports on them allow us to improve the firmware. That’s why, as @jp-drain-sol rightfully mentioned, using Beta with business projects is not a good idea.

Beta releases turn into Stable only when we conclude that everything is working correctly. Between the Beta and the Stable releases, there are indeed around 2-3 weeks. This time is usually enough for us to ensure stability.

You can be confident in our updates. It’s a rare occasion when the issue report is confirmed to be firmware-related. Usually, we’re dealing with configurational confusion or the working process misunderstanding.

We’re always here to give a full explanation of the new feature or help configure it properly. You can reach out to us any time to share your experience with our products. We’ll make sure the new release is working best for you.

5 Likes

@jjb They do not force you to update your unit. You can choose to ignore the update and continue running the software as is. The only time that an issue may occur is when the app on the phone is updated and then the firmware on the unit may not function as well anymore.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: New unit can’t get past the update page

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.