Getting Started

jmcarthur,
thank you for your explanation.
This is what I did:

1. iPhone hotspot: Turn off,
  2. Start REACH RS,
  3. In iPhone Wi-Fi, select reach:f2:bf,
  4. In Safari browser, access reach.local.
  5. Welcome to ReachView window appears.
  6. I see both reach:f2:bf and iPhone have been added.
  7. Anyway, I clicked on Wi-Fi and the blue + sign.
  8. Add new Wi-Fi network.
  9. Network name: iPhone,
  10. Security: WPA2-PSK (what is the significance of this? I am just copying what is shown on the documentation.)
  11. Password: use the hotspot password in the phone, Save.
  12. Shut down Reach RS.
  13. Start iPhone hotspot.
  14. Start REACH RS. Ok so far.
  15. use your reach ios app to locate the reach module and enter that address into safari: I am not sure about this part.
  16. I tried loading ReachView.
    Response: We can’t seem to find any Reach receiver in your local network.
  17. Next I tried fing and got this.

For a moment, it showed that the iPhone was available (about a few seconds), then it changed to “Not Available.”

What should I do next?

1.What was the password used when you configurated Iphone hotspot?
2.Who many reach units have you turned on? in the picture above it looks like your have more then one?
3.Reach doesnt handle IP address with one digit at the end and subnet nr 2, so, address of this type 192.168.2.X doesnt work well. Can you show or see that this isnt happening?
4.Also is your iphone running latest firmware?
5.I am not familiar with Iphone and from fing pictures above it looks like you see reach, but not in the way you should if iphone were running the hotspot, to me it looks like reach is running the hotspot and NOT your iphone.
6. If you had pressed my network at the bottom of the Fing screen, i would guess a reach hotspot is visible?

It looks like reach is working, but you are not able to connect it to your local wifi. So, at some stage a bad configuration/setting is made.

bide,

1. Windows 10 does not show the above. After a while, the network showed reach:f2:bf. I chose it as the router and got this:

2. I went to the browser and tried loading 192.168.2.15. Not successful as shown below

3. I reverted to my home wifi and tried loading 192.168.2.15 in the browser. Not successful.

Tx for your guidance so far.

Hello Wong

Windows 10 does not show the above. After a while, the network showed reach:f2:bf. I chose it as the router and got this:

reach:f2:bf is the reach units own hotspot. So if you type in the reach.local in the browser it should connect you to the reachview screen and the reach module, A screen shot of this would probably be helpful. On the add wifi screen(blue +) you need to add the name of your wifi site that has internet access. then use fing to find the address for the reach module on that site after rebooting the reach it should connect to that site you just entered.

Jim

hello Wong
I would suggest just following one of these set ups for now. If you use your laptop as below it should be easier to follow.
You need to know which wifi hotspot your laptop connects to have internet access. I find it much easier to work from the laptop myself until you have things set up.
Jim

I just did this:

1. Use reach:f2:bf as the reach RS hotspot for iPhone,
  2. In iPhone browser, type “reach.local”, enter. I got this:

You can see both reach:f2:bf and iPhone are saved.
  3. Reboot REACH RS,
  4. Use fing in iPhone. I got this:

I don’t see any REACH RS address.

What do I do next?

Maybe I should start afresh with the laptop and let REACH RS use it as a hotspot. Will try that tomorrow.

Tx.

Yes that is a good idea start fresh
Jim

1. I tried with the laptop and use reach:f2:bf as the network.

2. Browser: reach.local. No luck. Cannot access.

3. Next I tried iPhone, use the fing app.

4. iPhone used reach:f2:bf as the network.

5. I look into details of reach:f2:bf and saw this:

a. REACH RS Rover: Wi-Fi hotspot: reach:f2:bf,
b. Address: 192.168.42.0/24,
c. DNS: 203.82.64.145,
d. BSSID: FC:D8:B3:96:F2:BF

Is this enough to go to the next step?

bide, tx for your help so far. I am wondering whether this information enable me to move to the next step:

In iPhone app FING: check details of REACH RS Rover network details:
REACH RS Rover: Wi-Fi hotspot: reach:f2:bf,
Address: 192.168.42.0/24,
DNS: 203.82.64.145,
BSSID: FC:D8:B3:96:F2:BF

Tx

Can you tell us what is the name of your wifi that your laptop uses to get the internet access?
Jim

The laptop wifi is ASUS

I think you should get logged into that reach:f2:bf as before on your iphone . Then with blue + sign add your wifi spot name ASUS and enter the password for it also create it. Now connect to the ASUS wifi spot it should show up in fing or on the reach app as below (this is the reach app for locating reach devices).

If you couild give us a screen shot of either of those would be helpful.
You should be able to access reach from your browser.
Jim

That’s what I did. Tried again below.

I also tried to load the REACH RS IP address 192.168.42.0/24, using the ASUS wifi, while the REACH RS is powered on.

I think we are getting close. So far, we must found 50 different ways how not to do it.

When laptop connected to the reach:f2:bf try typing in 192.168.42.1 in your browser.
Jim

Jim,

Start from scratch for Laptop.

1. Turn off all Wi-Fi for laptop and mobile phone.
  2. Turn off and restart REACH RS.
  3. Connect laptop to REACH RS hotspot - reach.f2.bf.
  4. Open Browser, type and enter 192.168.42.1.
  5. Welcome to ReachView window displayed.
  6. Click on Blue circle with + sign to add network.
  7. Network: ASUS,
    Security: WPA2-PSA (Question: Is this correct? There are several other names as well such as WEP, WPA-PSK, WPAEAP, Open.) In any case, I selected WPA2-PSA as it seems to be shown as the default and also in the documentation.
    Password: (xxxxxx)
    Network ASUS added successfully.
  8. Shut down REACH RS.
  9. Start ASUS Wi-Fi, connect laptop to it. iPhone wifi still off.
  10. Restart REACH RS.
  11. Open browser, enter 192.168.42.1, not successful.

Other attempts

It says REACH is connecting to another network. Switch to ASUS to continue.

I did. It says 192.168.42.1 cannot be reached.

Next I tried the IP address that I found previously using the iPhone:
192.168.42.0/24

- site can’t be reached.

Summary: The good news is that REACH RS has ASUS added to its network.
I checked the network available on the laptop. It does not show reach:f2:bf anymore, even with the REACH RS turned on.

What do I do next?

Redo your above steps.
At step 6 delete the **reach:f2:bf as Bide had indicate earlier.
step 7 connect to ASUS
step 8 Do not shut down the reach RS
step9 connect your laptop to ASUS
step 10 use fing to find the address of reach on ASUS network.(you have to connect your iphone to ASUS wifi)
step 11 enter the address from step 10 in your browser

Everything has to be on the same network to be able to talk to each other.
It could take a minute or two to connect step 9

Jim

Jim,
I followed your steps above.

Step 6: Delete reach:f2:bf. Only ASUS is left. See below

Step 7: Connect to ASUS for both laptop and iPhone.

Step 8: REACH RS is kept on.

Step 9: Done in step 7.

Step 10: I presume you are referring to the iPhone connecting to fing. This is what I did and got IP address for reach:f2:bf as 192.168.42.0/24. See below

Step 11: Enter in the laptop browser (not iPhone) 192.168.42.0/24. Not successful as shown below. It hops back to 192.168.42.0 and says the site can’t be reached.

Question: Is step 10 in accordance with your intention?

tried with another address I saw in fing: 192.168.42.20
Again the site can’t be reached.