Get timestamps for 2 cameras

Hello,
I have reach m+ module. I want to get timestamps and events for 2 connected cameras. Its connected to port c1 and c2. I’ve connected camera for port c2 and have got events, but when I connected this camera to port c2 I’ve not any events.
Is it possible to get events from port c1 и с2 at the same time?

I do not think it is possible. If you look at the pinout for the C1 and C2 the C2 is missing the trigger.

This trigger is allow get event from camera? I’ve control cameras via USB and want to get register triggers events by hot shoe

I think we have discussed this before and I think modules do not register whether the signal came from timemark pin one or two.

Not true, the modules register the source, it should be easy to devide the file though.

The second issue is that it can only register one event per epoche, i.e. 200 ms if you run it at 5Hz.

So if you want to use to cameras you must trigger the cameras after each other. You should tigger the first camera and wait for at least 300 ms before you trigger the second. You could use an Arduino to realize this.

During post processing you need to have a script which divides the timemark list into two files.

We had an excessive discussion about that, I don’t know if @Stu74 implemented the solution:

If you need help and if you are ready to donate some serious amount of money to the Against Malaria Foundation for it I can help you with the script and the arduino code.

Exectly! I’ve send commands for the first camera and wait 500ms after send command for second camera. But I’ve not got event on port c2. I’ve read in some topiс this port planned used for second connected camera in future, but this post was in 2018 year, so maybe it realized now?

I think that one must configure the uBlox receiver how to handle the pins. Probably Emlid did not do that?

You still could use a single pin and do the same with a little more post processing. If you are sure that the second trigger is always 500ms after the first and after that there is a longer break than 500ms it should be really easy to implement.

For Emlid its far better if the customer uses two modules. I guess there are so many things on the todo list that this has very low priority.

You mean I should split the trigger wire for two hot shoes? and use only c1 port?

It’s clear)

If c2 is dead, yes. I would just cut it an solder it together again so that two hotshoes are connected to c1. I think that sould work with no problems.

Thank you! I’ll try to do it.

Nice, please report the result!

BTW, how do you trigger your cameras and what is your application?

I use gphoto2 lib and python on odroid-xu4 platform. I have 2 odroids with usb 3.0 and 2 cameras. Each odroid is a node in system. So I can take photo with each camera and save it in ssd. Also I want to get correct position for each picture from emlid)

2 Likes

Hi Andrey,

At the moment, it’s not possible to record time marks from 2 cameras on one Reach device simultaneously right out of the box. I’ll duplicate my answer from another thread here for more detail:

Thank you!

1 Like

If need more cameras and splitting becomes impractical could also try using the Reach for mastertime on the odroid-xu4 and make it an NTP server. Gphoto2 can replace internal time of camera with computer time. So if your odroid is set as NTP from GPST of the reach you should be able to get precise capture time directly in your image exif. I am working on such a setup currently but on Pi but have no comparative benchmark to offer yet.

Idea would be to compare recorded timemark of reach to the NTP derived capture time of the actual photo triggered with gphoto2.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.