FieldGenius for Android™ 1.9 Released!

I did a search for the Android 1.9 update today (06-09-21) and found the following:
FieldGenius for Android™ 1.9 Released!
Jun 7, 2021

I didn’t receive an e-mail notification about the update. I have downloaded it to my tablet and will see if it is any more stable with the Emlid receivers in the next week or two.

MicroSurvey is pleased to announce the latest release of the worlds **premier independent, brand neutral data collection solution FieldGenius for Android™

https://www.microsurvey.com/news/fieldgenius-for-android-1-9-released/

https://www.microsurvey.com/products/fieldgenius-for-android/whats-new/

FieldGenius for Android™ version 1.9 adds GPS offset tools, surface staking functionality and some new GNSS drivers. If you missed the updates in version 1.8, we introduced some new GIS features, including the ability to directly import Shape Files into your data collector as well as the ability to collect GIS Attribute data. The FieldGenius for Android™ GNSS Module has well-developed, intuitive functionality and ease of use that any surveyor will appreciate. And best of all – it removes the need to operate (and learn how to use) a separate data collector – simply download the application on a tablet or phone that you are familiar with and watch a few of our online training videos.

2 Likes

Curious… what are you guys doing when you need to do total station work since the Android version doesn’t have total station features incorporated yet? Apparently it will by the end of this year I hear… but have a feeling just a start… nothing solid like the Windows version of FG is to date.

2 Likes

I use Topcon Magnet with my unit, though I also have an older data collector with FieldGenius on it.

1 Like

What’s your setup to get it to shoot in fixed mode? We have been over this tens of times in the past couple years and I don’t know of anyone that didn’t have the fixed shot hang.

1 Like

Michael, are you referring to using FGA with Emlid receivers? I’m still experiencing problems using FGA 1.9 version. It keeps crashing on me about every 15-30 minutes or so while taking shots with it. I have no problem getting a fix when using the rover with a RTN correction service. It’s keeping it running and not crashing is the hard part. Sometimes I can see it is slowing down and preempted it with a shut down of the app, other times it crashes without any warning. Not very productive though, because of waiting for it to reboot and then reconnecting to the rover.

That’s bad enough, but recently it took down two projects with the crash and I cannot open the files and get the data. It was the same job, that I attempted twice to shoot about 35 points each. Frustrating to say the least. So I made two separate projects of the same job and shot half the points in each project. I really like the program, though I really wish they would fix the crashing & slowing down problems before adding one more new feature. Using it for stakeout, I have encountered the same problems with it crashing and slowing down.

1 Like

I think @michaelL is referring to Topcon Magnet used with the Emlid products? I think a good while back he was having trouble, then moved to FieldGenius for PC, then Android because of it? Are you able to get Topcon Magnet to work with Emlid Reach/RS/RS+ or RS2?

I haven’t tried using Topcon Magnet Field or Layout with the Emlid receivers. I just assumed that it wasn’t even possible with their closed system. I will have to try it out in the next month or so, pretty busy with work right now. I see on this other thread they were trying to work out the problems with using Magnet with Emlid without much success.

Darn, I wish you had been the one to figure it out! As for fga I’ve been running v1.9 for about 2 months now and still have the same load up and crash issue but luckily I have never lost a job or points. I’m going to PM you some contact information if you wouldn’t mind getting in touch with them. Be very helpful to have a couple more users willing to submit data to get this figured out.

1 Like

Yes, please PM me the contact info and I will send them some project file data if that will help them find a solution. Thanks, Mark

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.