Emlid with a Autel Evo RTK UAV

I’m hoping this weekend I can do my first mapping project for fun. My neighbors are clearing (logging) all their pine forests and I’ve got the perfect place, top of hill, nothing but stumps at the beginning of a hollow. I’m planning just a small area (+/- 5 acres). I’ll place some painted targets on the stumps for GCP’s, maybe just a white dot or cross with a pk nail in the center for location. I’ll use our state’s RTN for the flight with a base logging (either RS2 or Javad) on site.

All of our state has been mapped with LIDAR since 2008 with updates about every 5 years. This will be a good benchmark to compare with after processing with AgiSoft MS Pro. Haven’t used it since I bought last week, but looks fairly easy to use after reading parts of the manual and playing around with the commands.

If I have time I’ll also PP all the flight baselines, just as a check against the RTN.

This will be fun and interesting. I’m studying for the FAA part 107, can’t wait to get my unmanned license so we can use the UAV for possible mapping projects. Flight season for photogrammetry here isn’t very long ; the trees, yellow bells, crape myrtles, etc are already busting out.

If nothing else, we’ll have updated imagery for our survey projects.

A LIDAR sensor is our goal, it would benefit us tremendously. Keeping this old brain functional is the ultimate goal, always keep learning !!

4 Likes

I love their smart controller. One of the best screens I have used and the layout is good so that you can have that big of a screen and the controller remains a comfortable size. I too like running off the RTN but our data is so sketchy northwest of Austin that I usually have to run local NTRIP but once you have the base setup it’s still really easy. Just picked up a Mavic 3 Enterprise and so far it has been great as well. I miss the big screen though!

3 Likes

I’ll be curious to see what you get for accuracy using the v3.I purchased that drone last year and had to send it back to Autel because my vertical accuracy wasn’t where I needed it. Anywhere from .5ft to 3ft off from my GCP. Autel told me they confirmed it was an issue with other v3’s and they hope to have a firmware fix for it…just no eta on a date. I tried using a correction network and my RS2+ base same results.

2 Likes

I just flew my 1st experimental mapping mission Sunday. I used the RTN for the UAV and also for the locations of the GCP’s .

I uploaded all the imagery into AgiSoft Metashape (744 pics !) last night and started the process of aligning all the images, that took approx 30 minutes on a 4 yr old W8 64gb workstation with Nvidia Quadro card and SSD. I haven’t proceeded any further yet.

I had planned to map an area of about 5 acres but it ended up being about 18 acres. I got carried away as it was a fairly large area with mostly sloping relief.

One thing I’m curious though, and I haven’t reviewed yet in the MS manual, all the imagery is RTK fixed via RTN. I just aligned the imagery apparently in the default WGS84 (IGS ITRF2014). Also I believe our RTN is broadcasting in ITRF2014, I will verify this as it seems logical. Controller software converts to whatever projection you use in your state (i.e. FIPS 3900 SC).

I haven’t brought in my GCP’s yet to compare, Im still fiddling in MS and reading manual at same time. But it’s sure fun, reminds me of starting out in the surveying profession 51 yrs ago.

I’ll keep you advised.

2 Likes

Fun!

1 Like

I don’t think the v2 has the same issues with accuracy as the v3 does.

Dave and Michael are the experts on here (as well as others), they both are very familiar with EVO, Yuneec DJI as well as Emlid receivers .

They have helped me a lot just reading their post helping others.

There’s a lot of info/knowledge here on this forum. Emlid will bend over backwards to help you and there’s others as well.

2 Likes

Yep, both Dave and Michael took the time to process the data I was getting from the EVO. Dave came back with similar result to what I was getting. The v3 has accuracy issues. Right now all I can use it for is taking progress photos.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.