Emlid with a Autel Evo RTK UAV

does the IoS device, with reach3 app, have to be cellular to set and operate two emlids in a base - rover configuration? My state agency has restrictions on cellular IPADs. We want to know if we can use a wifi-only IPAD, w the reach3 app installed, to control an emlid base rover set up. Does anyone know if the new autel evo UAV would function as a rover with the emlid base, without a cellular ipad controlling the EVO? I suspect that the EVO has onboard cell reception; it may not need for IoS controlling device to be cellular. We also want to know if we need a seperate IoS device to run the emlid base and one to run the EVO app simultaneously, during an RTK flight.

We use Verizon Inseego Skyus routers to provide connectivity for all devices. We primarily use network CORS but when data gets sketchy we use local casting. I haven’t had many situations where the Emlid gear wouldn’t fix but the drone has had issues getting out of float in that scenario.

1 Like

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Based on the study I’ve done and what I understand about your comment: we only need a wifi IoS device to set up the emlid as a base [get it broadcasting the LoRa radio and functioning as a hotspot] and then we use a wifi IoS to get the evo into RTK mode for the fliight via the autel explorer app for the evo. Is there any task/need, in the emlid-evo RTK workflow, for cell on the Ios device?

That’s pretty much it. We use the RTK network when possible and a lot of the times the amyloid has service when the drone does not which creates this scenario. We can shoot in an RTK base points and then use that point in base mode and connect the drone to the local NTRIP option.

If I am able to RTK in that base point, I need to remember to turn off incoming NTRIP so that I can try the drone on the network first. If that doesn’t work then I change the values in Autel Explorer to the Emlid local. This is the most consistent workflow that I have found.

1 Like

Nope. Wifi only with the Smart Controller.

The Evo’s Smart Controller is not cellular capable. It is a non-cellular Android device. It can connect to wifi from a hot-spot or from the RS2(+)s built in wifi. You would need to also connect a smart device (your iPad) to the same Emlid network and set up the Emlid via ReachView3.

You can use an Emlid RS2(+) with it’s built-in wifi network, or use a smart device’s hot-spot, to pass corrections to an Evo. In this case, you would be using the “Local NTRIP” function and the Base would need to be set up on a known coordinate. No cellular connection needed in this configuration.

If you want to pass corrections from any outside device or network not in your immediate area, you would need a cellular connected smart device or sim in your Emlid receiver. (or LoRa is using 2 RS2(+)s).

Please have a read here:

2 Likes