Emlid Reach RS3—new flagship GNSS receiver with tilt compensation

Is its UHF radio 2W power? Do you external UHF radio yet?

Does the antenna itself contain the UHF radio module?

Hi

¿Tilt compensation, work in every case, LoRa, 3rd base, NTRIP? Or have some restrictions

1 Like

According to their specs for the RS3, it is a receiver only on the UHF radio band not a transmit/receiver. Requires a separate purchase of the Emlid UHF Antenna in order to receive the UHF frequencies 410-470MHz in the TRIMTALK 450S Protocol. This would be from another outside brand Base unit that transmits in those requirements. This at least gives another alternative for people that have existing equipment that they would like to try and use with the Emlid RS3. edit: Also, for use with a compatible external radio on a RS2/3 receiver.

4 Likes

I would definitely be interested in the new Emlid RS3 receiver, if the IMU tilt compensation function ever becomes available in the FieldGenius software. It would be useful for when you didn’t need Total Station accuracy for some jobs or tasks.

2 Likes

I agree, tilt compensation (or at least the presence of the IMU plus the expectation of a firmware update that took advantage of it) was one of the selling points of RS2. Just review the forums at that time.

You know I’m supportive with you guys, but this just look so bad from a customer perspective. As a suggestion, could you think as a smoother transition (in terms of cost) for existing users?

4 Likes

I see the RS3 has 184 channels?

I also see the much more expensive higher end big dogs have more channels?

What is the benefit of that please? Just wondering if any future RS"x" models (i.e. RS3+) may introduce something like that if it is beneficial? Same for L1 L2 and additional L5 if that is also beneficial?

Thank you!

PS. EMLID really has great branding design by the way. So impressed with this company. :grinning:

3 Likes

True this

3 Likes

Thank you all for your comments!

@l3technologycambodia Right now tilt compensation is available only in Emlid Flow, and it is fully functional in the Free version of the app. We are in touch with FieldGenius team and they are also working on adding support for the tilt compensated measurements with RS3.

For the UHF side, the new Reach RS3 can only receive correction on 450 MHz, but you can connect an external radio to your base station, for example a Reach RS2 or RS2+ and broadcast corrections at high power. The Reach RS3 will be able to receive these corrections using the internal radio, only a special antenna is required for this.

@adrian.levy99 Thank you!

@fernando_aerial Unfortunately it is not possible to make tilt compensation for RS2 and RS2+ as they lack a high-precision IMU as well as individual factory calibration.

@bernardo.barraza Tilt compensation works with any kind of corrections, but an RTK Fix is required for the IMU to work.

@timd1971 Thank you for your positive comments! The number of channels is a bit of myth in the industry, there are just so many satellites in the sky to track. On my Reach RS3 I get over 40 satellites on a normal day, so definitely not limited by the number of channels.

5 Likes

Thank for you Answer!

I have another question.What is the tilt range to work with the IMU and obtain a result that is precise (Repeatable), for example:
0°-100°
15°-100°
25°-100°
etc.
Other point

With lidar for drones, I make figures in the air, which help in calibration (IMU), for example, making a figure in the shape of the number 8, before starting flight.
Does Emlid have a recommended figure or movement in this IMU excitement process?

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. Keep up the good work

1 Like

Good news and the next logical step!

I was wondering if the tilt correction is also applied when reading out data from the serial port? If not yet, will there be any way to read out the raw IMU readings from the serial port?

2 Likes

Will you talk with Surpad developers to make tilt work there?

4 Likes

Here is a link to a test performed for E38 Survey Solutions, Emlid Reach RS3 Tilt Compensation Accuracy Case Study

Emlid Reach RS3 Tilt Compensation Accuracy Case Study

They don’t mention the approximate tilt angle while performing the study is my only concern with the test.
Also, a question for Emlid on the calibration of the IMU. I know it says the RS3 is factory calibrated, but will the unit ever need to be re-calibrated and is it possible for the user to do this task? If not, what would be the cost to have the factory calibrate the receiver?
Thanks, Mark

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

@Author_of_poor_desig No yet, but the orientation angle is going to be available in a separate message. The documentation on this is coming in a couple of weeks.

@andreas8001 we are not in touch with them and there are no such plans.

@mark1st.john Thank you for posting this! There is no need to redo the calibration as the receiver calibrates itself during the operation, the factory calibration is only needed one time to determine the installation offsets.

Our tests show that the main factor affecting the accuracy is the loss of satellite visibility due to tilt or very fast motion, if you are in an open area the IMU can work with really larger tilt angles. I had the receiver on a pole lying on the ground and still staying within 25mm. This is not recommended for sure, but just to give an idea.

6 Likes

Great to hear that! Looking forward to it.

With the addition of the 450mhz radio to receive, does this mean that it could be possible to broadcast corrections in that range in the future? (without an external radio)

This would be an absolute game changer for us.

All we would need is the ability to stake off a surface, and Emlid could totally replace Topcon/Trimble base and rovers for us.

4 Likes

Great to see tilt compensation !
Is the tilt compensation applied to NMEA data output?
Assuming it is, what is the maximum rate of NMEA data output with tilt compensation enabled?
thanks

2 Likes

Not yet

So it will be hopefully? : )

1 Like