DIY Affordable GNSS L1/L2 (Emlid M2)

Hello everyone, I am Alisson and I live in Brazil, I would like to share my project with you.

Basically the idea is to use the equipment kits recommended by Emlid, that is, 2 Emlid M2 modules + 2 Tallysman HC871 antennas + 2 LoRa Emlid radios + 2 batteries + cables.

The cylinder-shaped box will be resistant to rain, and will have an on/off button and also a button to capture the coordinate through the camera trigger. It can easily be attached to a pole and, if necessary, you can also replace the antenna with another model.

When necessary, it will also be possible to open the box and extract the equipment to take use on other projects, such as embarking on a Drone, rover, etc. Thus giving greater versatility to the set.

Will it work?
What do you think of the idea?
Could someone give me some tips and suggestions?

I currently own a pair of Reach Rs purchased in 2018 and recently i bought a complete Emlid M2 kit to do some testing. Although I am not satisfied with the results achieved so far, I intend in the near future to buy another M2 kit to complete the tests and the project.

I will provide the sketchup file (.skp) available here for those who want to contribute or create their own project and a link of the kit’s unboxing on youtube.

1- Sketchup file: Emlid M2 case.zip (1.6 MB)

2- Video: Unboxing Emlid M2 + Antenna + LoRa Radio Pt-BR - YouTube

Anyway, I hope I can help you to have a low cost GNSS L1 / L2 “receiver” and feel free to contribute.

Thanks.

16 Likes

Those look amazing! Great creativity and design.

3 Likes

Very cool.
Do you have any idea of the cost of the final design?

1 Like

Looks neat, do you have any heat issues with the M2 inside the enclosure? Is the enclosure vented?

Hi Alisson,

Your design looks gorgeous! Please make sure that the box is thoroughly ventilated, though. Such close proximity of the power source to the unit might result in high working temperatures.

1 Like

The goal is that each receiver has a total cost below 800 USD already including radio LoRa, Case, Module, Antenna and etc. But this will also depend on the configuration you have assembled, and it may even be cheaper.

After I will survey the exact costs

CASE ITEMS:
2 x Sealing ring 75mm x 3mm
1 x Top cover
1 x Button cover
1 x Side protection (Acrylic or PVC)
1 x Fixed button
1 x Momentary button
1 x 1/4 Thread Adapter
1 x SMA male / female cable
Some Cable terminals

ELECTRONIC ITEMS (CONFIG.1 - NTRIP ONLY):
1x Emlid M2 Kit:
____1 x Reach M2
____1 x GNSS Multi-frequency Antenna
____1 x Cable with 0.5 m Reach connector x SMA
____1 x Micro USB cable
____1 x 6-pin JST-GH to jumper pin cable
____1 x 5-pin JST-GH to jumper pin cable
1 x Powerbank

ELECTRONIC ITEMS (CONFIG.2 - NTRIP + 3DR RADIO):
1x Emlid M2 Kit:
____1 x Reach M2
____1 x Micro USB cable
1 x Powerbank
1 x 3DR Radio transmitter module

ELECTRONIC ITEMS (CONFIG.3 - NTRIP + LORA RADIO):
1x Emlid M2 Kit:
____1 x Reach M2
____1 x Micro USB cable
1 x Powerbank
1 x LoRa radio
____1 x Radio LoRa
____1 x Antenna
____1 x Cable for connection to M2

2 Likes

Hi Polina thanks for the tip. Reading some topics here on the forum I imagined that I had problems with super heating too.

I am thinking of an alternative that allows ventilation. So, when necessary, I can replace the type of side closure.

3 Likes

I haven’t done tests with the module in a closed box yet, but sometimes mine gets hot even when it’s in an open environment

What you have seen from other companies that have created a modular receiver design is a single board/connector with all the wiring and cabling routed correctly so that the M2 would plug/slide in and could thus be easily removed. Or the case could be designed to pass the wiring through and the M2 slid back in and secured by some sort pin or latch. Not as elegant, but more functional.

1 Like

Hi Anderson!

As it is in Brazil, one of the methods you can use to validate your solution is: park the receiver over an IBGE landmark and make the location with NTRIP (using RBMC-IP or CEGAT, if in SĂŁo Paulo) of the coordinate of this vertex with your Emlid Reach. On this website you can check the position of all IBGE landmarks in Brazil and if they are in good quality or not.

Check, mainly, if the altitude will hit. If everything goes well, you will be able to use your solution safely.

1 Like

Yes, yes friend countryman. Unfortunately I am not in the CEGAT area but there is an RBMC station here in Brasília-DF, which is where I live. But I’m still designing a box. I’m a little disappointed with the quality of the signal captured by this antenna and I’ve also been having trouble connecting to a known wifi network, in addition to other minor details, but I believe that everything will work out in the end.

4 Likes

I admire what you are doing. I just received an M2 and today should have the bipod and power bank. I have the Swift Mini 500 antenna. See David Hess posting on this forum. I just want a good static coordinate first and then I will do RTK later. Good luck! James

3 Likes

Just updating the project. He even deserved to run for a Reach RS2 :grin:.

10 Likes

Wow ! That’s pretty professional looking ! I hope you get them manufactured, I’ll buy 2 mounts for my M2’s ! Good luck with your project. I’m sure M2 owners would buy them !

2 Likes

They should sell them in the Emlid store… :wink:

2 Likes

Very nice mount!
I have doubts for the performance of the antenna near trees or buildings as it was designed for UAV applications where the sky is unobstructed.

3 Likes

Yes friend you are completely right. In the few tests I did, this antenna model disappointed me a lot about the signal quality. The idea with this project is that we, the community, can together develop a satisfactory open hardware project using Emlid M2.

3 Likes

Yes dear friend. Maybe someday, we will be able to compose and provide an open hardware kit to assemble the case at home. Or Emlid develop a model too, it would certainly increase the M2’s sales and utility.

3 Likes

Congratulations Allison!!! I wil try your deign but I want to put a microcontroller for monitor the temperature.
Best regards
Julio

1 Like

Very good juliodurand, then share your result with us with the microcontroller.

1 Like