DIY Affordable GNSS L1/L2 (Emlid M2)

I’ve been very busy lately and running out of time, but I’m going to resume the project now. I still want to improve some things in the design, I want to put 2 interchangeable power banks, but for now, I will share a video of the project.

2 Likes

Keen to hear how this is coming along.
Have you been able to utilise a better antenna?

I agree that they look great. Judging by the size of the poles, they also look fairly permanent. So I do wonder about the effects of weather. Those two big openings for the M2 and the radio would probably let a lot of rain or snow in there. On the other hand, the black color might also raise temperatures - especially in direct sunlight - so its easy to see why the holes might be needed.

I’ve done a somwwhat similar design but with the M2 and Radio Mounted horizontally under the antenna mount and on either side of the pole. An inexpensive upside down pot on top of them shields them from the elements and also allows plenty of air circulation but might attract wasps looking for shelter for their nests. If so, I’ll add a bottom screen.

My primary interest was in adding something that would add a bit of a ground plane. Other members here all indicated that it was not needed. But I wanted the environmental protection so I did it anyway. As amazing as it sounds, it actually did improve antenna performance. So it was a win win.

I too would be interested in an inexpensive enclosure direct from Emlid. That would ensure temperature and shielding performance in all climates and make our job as users so much easier.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.