Current image (20190227) with Pi B+

Hi, newbie calling, I’m trying to put together my first autopilot with the Navio2 and a Raspberry Pi B+, using the latest Raspbian release (Stretch), http://files.emlid.com/images/emlid-raspbian-20190227.img.xz, of which the archive has in it emlid-raspbian-20190227.img, which I burned using the recommended tool. (I’ve also tried using Win32DiskImager). When the Pi boots onto this card, the green LED flashes seven times, which apparently means kernel.img not found.

The same SD card put into another Pi (model unknown, its in a screwed together box, it normally runs LibreElec for the TV) boots just fine, so there is nothing wrong with the Navio image, or the burn, or the card. The LibreElec SD card boots up fine on the B+ with the Navio2 on it.

I’ve tried removing the Navio2 card from the Pi B+, and booting the B+ on the Navio image, but that didn’t work either.

The only possibility not accounted for I can see is that the Navio image won’t run on the B+.

Is there something I am missing here, or is there some reason the B+ can’t boot on this image?

Just for final info, I’m using a genuinely branded Raspberry Pi power supply :slight_smile:

Hi,

I have two Navio2 running on this 20190227.img. One on a B+, the other on a B.

At the bench, I use an USB power bank with a short USB cable. I can also use the wall plug for Raspberry (2A).

Check the connection between the Navio and Raspberry and be sure all screws are tightened.

Remove the plugs of Esc or RC Rx if they are in place and try again.

I use Etcher (Balena Etcher) to flash the SD card. Check also the position of the SD Card on the Pi. It need to be full inserted…

Does the Pi boot with Raspbian stretch without the Navio card plugged?

You can also plug a screen and check the boot process.

Hi, thanks for ther suggestions, no ESC or Rx connected at this time, and the power supply is rated at 2.5A. The Pi boots native Raspian strecth (Buster) happily with no Emlid card, but not the Emlid 20190227 code.

Your reply did make me think that the only thing I haven’t changed out is the power supply so I tried with a USB power bank, and that made no difference.

In a fit of “whatever”, I copied the kerneln.img to kernel.img in the boot partition, and that changed the LED flashing behaviour, but did not result in a running Pi.

Could you do a cat /proc/cpuinfo for me please on your B+ and see if it matches this:

processor : 0
model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 697.95
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : 900032
Serial : 00000000d46bbccc
Model : Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2

Hello,

Result is a bit different.

There are two sets of results: first is with a RPI3 B, second is B+ with more details at the end. The two units are with a working arducopter Navio2 configuration.

pi@navio:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo

model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)

BogoMIPS : 76.80

Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32

CPU part : 0xd03

CPU revision : 4

processor : 1

Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32

processor : 2

processor : 3

Revision : a02082

Serial : 0000000062521ae7

BogoMIPS : 89.60

processor : 1

processor : 2

processor : 3

Revision : a020d3

Serial : 000000001b719b6d

pi@navio:~ $ cat /etc/*-release | grep PRETTY_NAME=

PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)”

pi@navio:~ $ cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

SOLVED!

The answer is here, essentially, it seems that image won’t boot on a B+, or, perhaps more accurately, the exact model of B+ I ended up with.

The fix is to boot the SD card on a Pi it will boot on, then do the OS updates almost as normal, which is annoying as I’d done the update and upgrade as a matter of course as it advised those on the install page:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I got advised to remove an unneeded package on the way, which I did.

The next step advised is
sudo rpi-update

which fails as the script is not installed, so

sudo apt-get install rpi-update

fixes that, then

sudo rpi-update

works, along with some scary messages. It then notes a reboot is necessary to activate the software, so since this is on the wrong Pi, it’s time to

sudo shutdown -h now

Swap the SD card into the Pi B+, reboot, and we’re off!!!

Thank you for being a sounding board :slight_smile:

Now the question will be if in turning this into a working Pi it has broken it as a Navio…

It may not work with the Navio top because of Kernel update (from Rpi distribution).

Marc

Hi @dbuckley,

Sorry for the delayed response!

Have you succeeded in making it work with Navio2? Have you tried using Navio2 with another Raspberry Pi?

Hi, the problem isn’t the Navio2 hardware, the problem is the 20190227.img binary image, I’ve got a Raspberry Pi it won’t run on, the cpuinfo for the particular board is in the thread above, specifically, its a Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2.

Solutions at this point seem to be to wait for Emlid to cut a new image, and see if that works, or I could source another Raspberry Pi; my project isn’t in a hurry, so I can wait. The Pi I sourced for this was new from RS, and was a version 1.2. At the time of ordering the Pi, they had thousands in their global stock. The good news is RS are now on back order from their supplier, so hopefully their new supplies will be 1.3s, I’ll ask them when they are back in stock.

Edited ti add: I’ve just noted RS’s estimated date for new stock is May 2020, I know I’m not in a hurry, but that is too far in the future!! I’ll have to find an alternative supplier and take a chance on revision levels. Or settle for a lower spec Pi.

You should try the latest image (Buster). It may work. If not, see my email.

Hi @dbuckley,

May I ask you to test it with our new Raspbian image as Marc suggested and see if it helps?

You can find the new image here.

Hi, I’ve tried the new image (emlid-raspbian-20191128.img) and it doesn’t work either, the symptoms are unchanged, seven flashes of the green LED.

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a replacement Pi 4 B 2GB, life’s too short to wonder why this one won’t work.

Hi all, new Pi has arrived, Model 4 B 2GB, popped the same SD card with same latest Buster image on it into this Pi, powered it up, and it booted just fine.

Linux navio 4.19.83-emlid-v7l+
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1

So definitively does look like the Buster image and the older image won’t boot on that particular version of the Pi 3 B+ card.

Cheers!

Hi @dbuckley,

Glad to hear the image works fine with a new board. We’ll look into this strange behavior. Thanks for letting us know!

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.