Connecting to a Reach device over a public/commercial Wi-Fi network

Hi bide,
I am a new user. Could you help me explain detailed this solution step by step?
Thank you so much.

moderator edit: This question is in reference to this thread:

Sure, we can try and help with an explanation.

That was a long thread and and old thread that you posted in, so I have moved your question here to its own thread.

It may be easier for you to explain to us about what you are having trouble with. Start by answering these questions:

What hardware do you have?
Is your software up to date?
What do you want to ask about?

Hi,
1, My hardware is Reach RS+ and Reach M+. After the first connection, the network status change to Client wifi mode, however, I can not connect on Reach view app.
2. Not yet updated software
3. I do not understand your following solution:
on Reach:

sudo grep -r โ€˜192.168.2.15โ€™ /etc/*

gives:

/etc/systemd/network/usb0.network

which contains:

[Match]
Name=usb0

[Network]
Address=192.168.2.15/24

OK. For 99% of circumstances, you should not need to run commands like that.

We have to troubleshoot one step at a time.

First, what is the name of the Wi-Fi network that you configured Reach RS+ and Reach M+ to connect to?
Are there any more Wi-Fi networks that were configured, or just one?
What type of device are you using run the ReachView app?
Is that device running a hotspot? Or is that device connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Reach devices?

My wifi network name is โ€œU+ Zoneโ€ (IP: 192.168.123.254)
There is only one configured wifi network.
My device is Android (Samsung)
My phone is connecting to โ€œU+ Zoneโ€ wifi network.

OK, so if ReachView app does not find and Reach devices, then maybe your Wi-Fi network isnโ€™t letting the mdns packets through.

Is the Wi-Fi network personal, or is it a corporate network?

Have you tried to download the Fing app and see if you can find your Reach devices with that?

Another option is if you have administrative access to the Wi-Fi access point/router, you could go in to its status page and look at the DHCP client table and find the Reach devices there.

Is this your Wi-Fi provider? If so, then it makes sense that the ReachView app will not work.

Because it is the corporate network, I do not have an administration to reboot to the Wi-Fi router.
I download Fing app, but could not find Reach device IP.
What is your option if reboot Reach device and connect to another wifi network?

Yes. It is U+ Zone

OK. Are you aware of anyone who has ever communicated between two devices on the U+ Zone network?

For example: a Wi-Fi printer connected to U+ Zone and a laptop connected to U+ Zone, where the laptop can send a print job to the printer over the U+ Zone network?

Sorry. I do not sure about U+ Zone network, because I am a foreigner student in Korea. However, I think it is cannot be communicated between two devices on the U+ Zone network. My computer cannot connect to printer via this wifi network.

Do you have two devices that you can connect to the U+ Zone network?

If one was a laptop, that would probably be best.

Test your ability to communicate directly to the other device using its IP address. Use the ping command.

For example:
ping 192.168.123.254

Sorry, I missed reading this line. Tell me if you would rather try that instead.

I have tested IP address in 2 laptop. Here are result:

Pinging 192.168.123.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.123.254: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.123.254: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.123.254: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.123.254: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.123.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

That is good news.

Which operating systems are on the laptops?

My operating system is win 10 64bit

OK there are 2 ways to proceed from here. The goal is to figure out which IP address was given to each of your Reach devices.

First, I must ask a question. When you first connect a device to U+ Zone, is there any authentication process? Do you need to open a web browser and click to accept terms and conditions or anything like that?

OK. There isnโ€™t the authentication process. Any devices with password can connect to this wifi.

That is more good news.

OK the 2 ways are:

1. Install a network scanning tool and scan for devices which match the signature of Reach. The corporate firewall may not like the scanning process, or it may not care.

2. A hard connection between your laptop and Reach. Use the USB cable and enable Ethernet-over-USB and open up ReachView (not the app) in your laptop web browser. From there you can discover the Wi-Fi IP address of Reach.

โ€ฆand I should mention the third way is to create a Wi-Fi hotspot with your cell phone, and let Reach connect to that hotspot and then the Reachview app should work. If you must do the first time setup, then it will be using your cell data for the software update download, and for things like downloading the map background in the ReachView status screen.

Which do you prefer?

Thanks for your solutions.
I will try the 3st method first.

Now that Reach is familiar with the U+ network, it will try and connect to that network each time it boots up. You will have to get it back into hotspot mode by either: 1. Reflash Reach to eliminate any previously saved Wi-Fi network configurations; 2. Put Reach in a place where it is not able to connect to the U+ network (take it far away, or shield it in a metal box, or maybe wrap in aluminum foil.; or 3. --> go back and do #1 or #2 listed two posts back in order to open up ReachView and remove the U+ Wi-Fi configuration :laughing:

Let me know if you need any further assistance with this. It has been a pleasure helping so far. You have excellent quality replies.