BLE connection

Hi,
Is it possible to connect to RX (or RS2+) using Bluetooth Low Energy ? Is there any documentation for it ?

As I understand RX is also somehow getting correction data via BLE.

I know I can use Bluetooth with NEMA, but for my case it is complicated as there is Pairing needed.

Thank you.

1 Like

If you are using Emlid Flow, then yes, you can receive corrections over bluetooth between the RX and your smart device. Pairing is not necessary. If you want to use an RS2+, then you need to first enable bluetooth in Emlid Flow while connected to the RS2+

1 Like

Hi, thank you for reply.

you mention Bluetooth - but do you mean BLE or Standard bluetooth (which need pairing) ?

I tried BLE but I only get some binary data that I am not able to understand.
Furthermore i assume I should provide RX some kind of access to internet via BLE, which I am not sure how.

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, BLE. No pairing.

Not sure what you mean here. What are you using to receive data from the RX?

The RX is designed to receive corrections using NTRIP via a BLE connection to a smart device connected to the internet. What is it that you are trying to use it for?

1 Like

I should explain my use case. I have very specific mobile application where I need to collection GPS positions. I tried two options

1. Application is connected with bluetooth (in my documentation it is called bluetooth serial, you need to have phone paired). I then receive NMEA data. It works, but problem is Pairing

2. So I tried BLE, I get connected to RX. In some service I can receive some data. But it is format that I am not able to understand. So I asked if there is some documentation for this.
    What (and if) there is really some internet provided to RX via this BLE, and if yes how.

Here comes the funny part.
If I use 1) with RX , how it will get internet for corrections ? Or does it mean that RX will provide me NMEA without RTK ?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your questions! I’ll do my best to explain the communication with RX.

You indeed connect to Reach RX via BLE in the Emlid Flow app. I don’t think I can share any specific manuals regarding BLE with you, still, maybe these developers’ docs of Microchip and Link Labs will help grasp the overall concept better.

Regarding the Internet connection, the app uses the Internet connection on your phone or tablet to access network corrections and send them to Reach RX over Bluetooth. So if you have the Internet on your phone/tablet, you can easily connect the device to the NTRIP.

Reach RX can provide the coordinates via NMEA to you via Bluetooth, not BLE. However, to maintain the cm-level accuracy of the position, the device should be receiving the corrections via NTRIP. This means that it should be connected to your mobile device which would provide it with the Internet connection and the corrections.

The overall scheme of connecting RX to external applications is described in our docs:

Hope these will help to guide you through it! We can still discuss the details of your case further on, too.

4 Likes

Hi Polina,

Thank you! I think I understand more of it. I assume BLE is not way to go.
Let me just confirm

1. If I use RX and if I keep Emlid Application running (that will take care of RTK). Will I get from Bluetooth Serial NMEA position that is with RTK corrections ? (I have some 3th party application that says so)

2. If I use RX and Lefebure NTRIP Client . Will my application get position with RTK correction on Bluetooth Serial NMEA ? Or I should use GPS Mock function of Lefebure, so my application will access with native function of android.

3. If I use RS2+ ,that has 4G internet, NTRIP configured. Will I get position with Bluetooth Serial NMEA with RTK corrections ?
    (I hope at least this is like that, because I do it for years :))

Thank you.

Peter, you’re welcome!

I’ll go through your questions one by one.

You will get the position output with the corrected position if the unit receives the corrections and calculates Fix solution. You can supply the corrections through the same app that you plan to receive the position in: this way, you will ensure a stable connection link between the receiver and the mobile device.

I believe using the mock location feature will give you the most stable results in such setup.

Definitely :slight_smile: The unit outputs the position with the solution status it calculates in real time. So if your RS2+ is connected to the NTRIP service, receives corrections, and reaches Fix solution, you will get its position with the same solution status.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.