@bide on Reach RS2

hello @bide, your tests are wonderful, they help us all to get to know RS2 better, thanks very much. I am waiting for my RS2 to arrive after mid-July. I’m curious to see if decreasing the recording time of the point under 10 seconds remains good precision. In the surveys I do need to be very fast, in one day you can also collect 1200 points.
Can you test your RS2 with 1-2-3 seconds in RTK base-rover configuration and also with RTK ntrip? Thank you.

1 Like

@vin_bro I’m glad you like the tests and I will make a note about trying shorter point collection times and also NTRIP.

1 Like

Here is a little tidbit for you:

An RS+ works under partially obstructed sky and gets a good fix over LoRa from an RS2 base nearby:

The skyview of the rover is a 66 degree clear swath overhead; a building is 1m to the south, 2m taller than the antenna; and another taller building is 9m to the northeast; and a small stand of trees to the north 18m away with tops 24m above the antenna.

I had all constellations enabled on the RS+ and chose Beidou instead Glonass in this case for lack of Glonass corrections. To be fair, I did not try with Glonass enabled.

The takeaway here is that RS+ works fine with RS2 as a base. RS+, using ReachView v2.18.0 is picking up this fix using corrections from GPS, Galileo, and Beidou.

5 Likes

I was out testing LoRa today, so I might as well share this track log:

The RS2 base was set near the center of the green fix over on the right side. It was on the roof of a 2 storey building, but it was not the highest building in the area and not on the highest point of land either.

The RS2 rover was picking up the LoRa radio tranmission for about a 0.5km radius. The exception being the fix at 1.5km away where the rover was up on a hill and had line-of-sight to the base. In most other places there was very little opportunity to get line-of-sight. So the limiting factor here was signal blockage due to terrain or buildings. And when you have those radio reception troubles, that is when it is time to make use of the SIM card and turn on the mobile data (but not today though).

This is just a close up showing the rover going around buildings and up and down the roadway. Where the corrections are being received, there is no problem getting or holding a fix.

Here you can see the position graph. and you can see the issues with rising terrain in the bottom graph that shows the variation in height.

RS2 LoRa settings were:

• 916MHz
  • 18.23kb/s
  • 14dB

RS2 RTCM3 message settings were:

• 0.1Hz, ARP station coordinates
  • 0.5Hz, GPS MSM4
  • 0.5Hz, GLONASS MSM4
  • 0.5Hz, GALILEO MSM4
  • 0.5Hz, BEIDOU MSM4

The takeaway for this one is that, while LoRa works great nearby the base and wherever there is good line of sight, to have the option to turn on mobile data in ReachView, avoiding all that red single and be able to have green fix everywhere is a huge advantage for productivity.

4 Likes

Great work.
I wonder if its possible to have cell data enabled and LoRa set to 1.pri and when LoRa drops out for X units of time, it would swap to ntrip. Base must be able to have both Lora and Ntrip active at the same time. Or maybe connect to a different serivce. Doable?

4 Likes

Yes! Doable if you can write

like this

teh_codez

(eye caution)

… or we make a feature request for ReachView.

It is a great idea though! :+1:

2 Likes

I like it !

1 Like

Accede

Did that :point_up_2: word make any sence ?

1 Like

(quick search) OK, now it does. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, was trying to flex some English muscle :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with the hardware differences between the RS and the RS+. Do you believe an RS (not RS+) functioning as a rover would work with RS2 as a base, or is the RS too outdated to perform well with the RS2?

(Trying to strategically figure out how much funding I can bug my boss about in order to get new toys for the office) :wink:

Thanks for sharing your tests on the RS2! Certainly looks promising, and very applicable for a number of conditions I run into in the field! :tipping_hand_woman::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

RS and RS+ have different computing cores, but the GNSS receiver; antenna; and LoRa radio are the same.

And so they are both compatible with Reach RS2.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

The RS+ has more memory storage also.

RS2 won’t work with RS+ base as RS2 requires multi-band corrections.

3 Likes

Ok… i guess that is good to know… how bout the other way around to finish the thought? The RS2 I assume can serve as BASE for a mix of RS/RS+ AND RS2’s ROVERS?

correct

2 Likes

…also with any third-party dual/multi-frequency rovers. Not just Emlid.

Hence why the RS2 is a breakthrough product at a breakthrough price point. In fact it will serve corrections on 4 or 5 (depending if you’re in the QZSS footprint) constellations where some bases costing 4 or 5 times as much will only provide GPS+GLO corrections.

3 Likes

Realy?

yes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.