Aluminium Weaver Mk3

Today the Aluminium Weaver Mk3 project begins.

Planned timelines: 3-6 months.

Frame type: Coaxial Octo-X 600mm.

Motors: 8x2216 Sunnysky v3 880kv (just I have them; after tests may have to change to lower kv).

Props: 1045 carbon no-name (again, just I already have them).

ESCs: 2x4-in-1 at least 40A, my DALRC showed itself just brilliant.

Power system: 5-6S 15000-20000mAh Li-Ion. I am going to pay special attention to this part and manufacture it fully myself. This will require to learn about the Li-Ion battery protection/charging circuits and may take more time. I am planning to manufacture a custom enclosure for pack using wood and aluminium.

Now what’s special about this project?

Ladies and Gentlemen, first time in History - a drone is made - using 2020 Aluminium Profile for 3D-printers!

Same as below:
jpg_220x220xz

2x600mm bars weight 600g total. That’s more than the carbon one by ~200g - but much more customizable and presumably stronger.

Apart from other smaller benefits, it gives supreme modularity - using a number of mounting brackets, bolts and nuts. Configuration can be changed in seconds - without any drilling.
Mount LED lighting, landing gear, gimbal, batteries, scale the configuration - with minimal efforts and thoughts!

Please share your thoughts, suggestions and inputs.
I am inviting this initiative to be part of the community.

Updates will be posted here.
Current status - waiting for arrival of mounting gear from Aliexpress; arriving in 10-15 days.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Those bars are waaaaaaay too heavy! Carbon fiber tubes of the same length are much lighter.

2 Likes

True.

2 600mm bars weight 600g, while 600mm carbon frame weights 350g as per Aliexpress.

Question: anyone has 600 or 650 carbon X quad frame?
What is the actual weight of frame only + landing gear?

Total current weight is 600g.

Statical tests will be done soon to determine max G force it can handle without deformation.

Yikes, that construction won’t allow for a lot of flighttime :S How many G’s are you trying to pull ?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, mate.

I did some modelling using the online drone calculator, it shows up reasonable flight times around 20 minutes and more.

However I agree with your doubts.

Lets see - for me even 10 minutes is sufficient at current stage.

Don’t forget, its Octo-X, so maybe it will really fly a bit more.

Overall takeoff weight should be 4kg, and maximum lift should be 8kg at full throttle.

What calculator are you using ?

With a frameweight that heigh, and estimated total weight of 4 kg, I don’t think you will even reach 10 minutes flighttime, (without beating up your battery).

An X8 config doesn’t give your more than efficiency. On the contrary, it trades efficiency for thrust and ability to be compact.
The X8 config has a much higher discloading, as it moves air faster. To be efficient, you need to move a lot of air slowly instead. That means fewer but larger props.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I am absorbing all details you share!
And learning. :slight_smile:

I was using https://www.ecalc.ch/

Motors are 880kv Sunnysky 2216, props 1045.

I am planning for 16000mAh LiIon batteries (4S). If weight allows, even more than that.

If 10 minutes is achieved, this will be acceptable - my normal routes are within the 5 minutes radius.

The rig is an overkill for such short flight time.
However it has some potential pros - like quick assemble (6 + 8 screws only), stiffness.
Let’s see how it will operate.

So far the weight of the below is 1500g.

At what throttlelevel did it indicate 20 minutes flighttime?
Your throttlelevel should be at 35-45% with your final payload, basically maintaining a 2:1/3:1 thrust-to-weight ratio.
While it it will fly with a 1,5:1 ratio, you will have issues in the wind, and it will also be harder/scarier to recover from rapid decents.

2 Likes

Thrust ratio is around 2:1 to 2.5:1, based on the calculator.

Good info about thrust ratios, I will be more careful with that, not to go below 2:1.

Current total weight: 1630g.

1 Like

This mounting universality is exactly what I was looking for.

GoPro Tarot gimbal is on the way (1-2 weeks) and it is going to be mounted in an unusual way also.

Current state.

1 Like

The solder-less “Vruzend” Lion kit is here and assembled with 30x3000mAh 20A continuous (35A peak) 18650 batteries (3SP9), total weight is 1650g.

Total it is 3S 27000mAh, easily reconfigurable to 6S 15000mAh by re-plugging the jumper XT150 wires.

Pictures will follow soon.

@anton.pryamostanov did you manage to connect with the blheli_32 suit to the esc? How did you do that?

@tobias-dahms

No :frowning: On T-Motor ESC I didn’t research that. Got to research and find out.
On Dalrc ESC - I researched and couldn’t find how.

Current total weight: 3800g

1 Like

Re-done battery mount. Now it does not shake and still easily removes to battery access if needed.

Note that battery has 2 modes switched by jumper cables - on picture it is in “charge configuration” - 1SP27 - for charging WITHOUT balance port. Very convinient.

Other mode is currently 3SP9.

Jumpers are duplicated for reduncancy (in case of accidental unplug).

It is using XT150 connectors.

2 Likes

Looks intriguing! What’s the intended use of this one?