Adding to the EMLID Raspbiuan Distro for Navio2

I specifically purchased the Navio2 to experiment with image processing for controlling a UAV.

To do this, I need to add to the distro a number of tools, since I’ll be using the RPi3 to build the project, but I am facing many problems.

This is what I’ve done so far:

Flashed the distro to a very fast 64GB SdCard,
SIgned in and updated the wifi details and restart
Used raspi-config to extend the filesystem to the capacity of the SDCard
ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then I gout out of the EMLID script:
I ran sudo apt-get install chromium-browser and a result I get

"errors were encountered while processing raspberrypi-bootloader_1.20161215-1_armhf.deb"
and if I run
sudo apt=get install -f
I also get an error related to the same file…

I presume it is protected.

You see, what I don’t understand is the need for a bearbones Raspbian. Yes I see how to just run Ardupilot that’s all is needed, but then, why at all make the Navio and extension of RPi? That’s more an issue of the size of the SDCard than anything else.

Is there a way for me to install additional programs to the emlid distro?

Many thanks,

David

Yes, sure. You can install any packages that are not in conflict with our custom kernel and bootloader. You ran into the rare issue with a conflict. I think we’ll make it work in the next release. But either way, we don’t really recommend using GUI tools on an autopilot. It’s kind of always better to run Chromium on a PC, isn’t it?

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply. How am I to know what is compatible and what is not? In any case, I understood that was the problem and found a solution and have moved on…

As far as what is better to do where, the thing is that I believe that to many users the NAVIO is a means to experiment with whatever aspect of interest of autonomous vehicles and robotics. If EMLID were to recognize that, and provide more support, it would be much easier.

Your assumption that users want NAVIO just as a plug-and-play autopilot is very limiting to yourselves, but mostly for experimenting users, and frankly, there are better and cheaper plug-and-play options out there.

Many Thanks!

Okay, then. The only packages that might be in conflict are the ones that depend on raspberrypi-bootloader package. Unfortunately, Raspberry Pi foundation made it kinda difficult to supply your own custom kernels. Hence, the limitations. Thank you for the feedback. We might make adjustments in the next release to make it easier to install GUI on Raspberry Pi.

Either way, have a taken a look at the latest beta with ROS and WBC integrated? If that is not a robotics batteries included distro, then what? :slight_smile:

We’re trying to make our products as easy to use as possible.

Thanks for your reply.

Not using Beta OS since there are already many moving parts and sources of risk in my project to add a beta OS…

BTW, I am very surprised to see that EMLID distro for Raspberry Pi 3 with ARM8 64 bits, is a 32 bit OS!!! It basically downgrades the Pi3 to a bit faster Pi2!!! VERY DISAPPOINTED

This is Beta RCv4 and soon to be named release. The release is to be announced in a couple of weeks which will be almost the same.

Sorry, but this does depend on Raspberry Pi Foundation. They don’t provide Raspbian with 64-bit support yet. Nevertheless, Raspberry Pi 3 is heck a lot faster than Raspberry Pi. Almost nothing to be disappointed about! :slight_smile: You get Wi-Fi, bluetooth and a much faster processor for the same price tag.

I’ve been trying to work around this limitation, but have come to a dead end!

I need a newer version of the libraspberrypi0 (>= 1.20160315-1).

I looked for the beta of the new Image for Navio2, but it’s now missing from the site!!!

I am stuck and time is running out!

The link is in the post:

However on This Emlid Page you talk about building the ArduCopter for 64 bit distro!!! I read this before deciding on Navio2 and was sure it would be X64… !!!

There’s information about crosscompiling an ArduPilot binary from a x64 Linux distribution. It’s clearly stated that way. As soon as rassperry pi foundation rolls out their x64 Raspbian, we might consider a port. Until then, I recommend not focusing on that issue as x64 won’t make much of a difference on a Raspberry Pi 3. There’s no performance bottlenecks at the moment.

1 Like