3DR SOLO with REACH

Thank you.

Iā€™m new to the forum and this may have been discussed but even if Solo integration or any other IMU for that matter is working properly, there are other things to consider for centimeter accuracy. You will have to have the precise offsets in both the vertical and horizontal distances between the onboard GPS receiver and the camera. The pitch, role, and yaw of the vehicle will change the distance between the camera and GPS receiver. If you are not using a gimbal keeping the camera in a nadir position, the footprint on the ground will not be centered around the coordinate of time stamp. The higher you fly, the greater the error. I think this is a great tool and will help gather more accurate information and look forward to using it myself on my Solo. Just understand that getting the interface between the RTK and camera working doesnā€™t in itself produce cm accuracy.

very good points. one hope is that if you have several hundred photos all within 10cm or so (error from antenna - camera offset and gps error), then once you process in Pix4D it will all average out and you will have 95% CI or STD of just a few cm, so back to cm grade. The random noise of the camera-antenna would average out unless it was systematic (such as antenna on back of solo and camera on frontā€¦but the survey goes back and forth so that might average out as well)ā€¦interesting!

1 Like

Improving any error inducing systems is good. Eliminating the trigger lead-lag error is great. Iā€™m liking what I see.

1 Like

Iā€™ll DD on the Qx1 flash trigger. Is Reach part of the solution of triggering the Qx1?

edit added. What is Reachā€™s input signal requirements. Hot Shoe or other. Thinking hardwire, ideally no signal modification. Hopefully the Qx1 wonā€™t error out with a different voltage signature if I unwire the bulb.

2nd added edit. I have found no information of the wifi app nor multiterminal supporting the flash fire. I thinking of ordering one in with a remote cable. 1st verify the cable has no fire. 2nd take apart the flash and verify itā€™s operation with a oscilloscope. Hopefully have a method of wiring the flash directly or optically isolated to the reach.

Hi Igor!
Awesome stuff you guys are doing over here! Iā€™m a long time user of APM/Pixhawk looking to integrate your camera timestamp into my setup. By the way, I have NEVER used a GoPro for mapping :wink: I have only used NEX-3N, NEX-5, and A7 for mapping since 2011. I am in the final stages of integrating a Piksi with my PixHawk (sorry, the Reach wasnā€™t out yet when I ordered the Piksi), but am seriously looking at the Reach. My setup is a custom quad based on the QAV500V2. I have survey equipment (GPS, Total Stations, Levels, etc.) at my disposal and currently have a permanent test site setup that includes a dozen or more highly accurately, permanent control targets. Each target is set to around 1 cm, or better, x,y,z accuracy. My background is in Photogrammetry and Surveying, so I understand exactly what you are trying to do for the mapping community. If I can help out or test things, let me know. I am planning to fly my test site later this week and start processing the results to see what is achievable. Iā€™m sure the timestamp will be a problem as well as the offset from my camera to the GPS. I am using the standard 3DR GPS for navigation and the Piksi as GPS2 for logging. The projects I currently fly all use ground control and Iā€™m testing to see how accurate I can get with minimal or zero ground control.
Best,
Steve

2 Likes

Is it possible to swap the original gps in solo to Reach? From view of amature it seems possible to export mimic the Reach gps signal as solo gps signal. I am verry disappointed in gps quality of 3dr solo

This should be accounted for in the photogrammetry software. It can determine orientation of a picture to fractions of a degree and make an adjustment for the lever arm. Photoscan does it afaik.

1 Like

Hot Shoe. The signal is pulled up and clamped to 3.3V on Reach.

Sounds like a good plan. Note that the capacitor in the flash is high voltage, so discharge it fully before disassembly. You can short itā€™s outputs.

You will need to find the logic pin that drives capacitor discharging circuit. It should be fairly straightforward if you have a scope and some exeperience.

Hi, it is possible but will require changing the firmware of Pixhawk2 on Solo. So not very easy. I am also not sure if you can inject corrections through the Artoo.

Let me know if you need a QX1 to hack apart. I have one that has been slightly damaged, have not pulled it apart, and would be willing to send your way if it helps. DEFINITELY interested in what you come up with to sync the internal flash. Been using QX1ā€™s since they hit the market, and GREAT for mapping.

We use them hard mounted, with 16mm lens, 264g, very lite.

Cheers!

That would be great and more ethical than me ruining my brand new one and claiming the drop and liquid warranty. Iā€™m in N. OH - 43410. Where are you? PM me for my details. They sent me the wrong one and was hoping for the new one by the weekend.
Burke

I am in Sacramento, CA. You are in Ohio?

Started a new thread on the Sony Qx1 hack for outputting a shutter triggered signal.

4 Likes

hi
now SOLO mapper is ready for sale .a great combination with good camera .
is it possible to install REACH on it and turn it to accurate drone for mapping ?
my mean is using a GNSS receiver on ground that send correction to SOLO .
http://escadrone.com/solo-mapper/?lang=en
thank you

Has anyone seen escadrone solo mapper in the real world yet?
It seems like a whole lot of money for a 2-axis servo motor gimbal.
With Reach logging rinex and accepting shutter trigger signal it seems like you can DIY a much more robust and cost effective solution. Plus then when something goes wrong you will know how to fix it!
Thatā€™s just how it looks from my perspective anyway.
The gimbal to me is just added weight for mapping, unless for the side of buildings are previously mentioned.
Still waiting for my reach kit to get started!:upside_down:

Hey, (I represent Escadrone Team)

Weā€™ve released the SOLO Mapper only a few weeks ago and we only have a few dozens of them in the real world yet. It was mostly for the french market at the beginning and now weā€™re starting international shipping.
Weā€™ll show you a lot more in a few days (weā€™re making a video with all the features and the process for using our SOLO Mapper).

Anyway @igor.vereninov Weā€™d really like to discuss directly with you on the phone,
as it seems your device is now completely supported with pixhawk machines we might want to integrate it in our SOLO Mapper solution to provide an ultimate mapping machine.

You can call us directly on our French phone +334 58 00 54 10, asking for Florian, Gaƫl or Nicolas about the Reach integration on the SOLO Mapper.

1 Like

I just purchased a 3DR Solo drone during the July 4th sale. I, too, am looking for a low cost RTK integration option for survey mapping. I am a Professional Engineer (also working towards my Survey licensure) and new to drones. Iā€™ve been doing a lot of research and the 3DR Solo with Reach and a better camera than the GoPro sounds like the best route for the money.

1. What camera/gimbal should I buy that will integrate easiest with Reach?
  2. Is there a Video showing how to add Reach to the Solo and integrate with the camera/gimbal.

Iā€™m looking for an easy solution to modify my Solo (i.e. - plug this in here) to get RTK and better photos. I donā€™t want to have to do any programming or soldering, etc. Escadroneā€™s ā€œPack smart-gimbal Mapper + Cameraā€ package seems to offer exactly what I need minus the Reach integration and I would be very interested in seeing these two items together.

3DR is introducing the Sony R10C camera (I assume a modified QX1) for their drones. Will this camera work with Reach?

There is no information available about this camera, so it is impossible to say.

Any camera with hotshoe adapter will work with Reach.

Not at the moment unfortunately. We will consider making it.

We are in touch with Escadrone and hopefully they will provide a full package soon.