Integrate REACH with pixhawk, antenna issues

hi, I am planning to integrate reach on the uav with pixhawk as a secondary GPS for accurate geotagging. I wonder what’s optimal size for the metal plate for both the rover and the base. I read from the doc that it should be at least 70mm. However, I wonder if it’s the larger, the better? Because I read from previous post the the 200mm ground panel would give better result than the 100mm one. Besides, I noticed that a more decent MAXTENA antenna was used in the official video, I wonder if it’s necessary to upgrade with this on the UAV? It would be really helpful if there is any info on testing with other alternatives, of course, including the original antenna comes with the kit.

Also, since the reach module board has the built-in imu, I wonder if it is required to be mounted with anti-vibe foam securely on the airframe (but I wonder what is the usage of the imu on the uav since it’s not used for navigation…)?

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Hi!

Here is an example of setup with stock antennas to get great results:

IMU is not used at the moment, so do not worry about vibration isolation.

Hi Igor,

Many thanks for the quick reply. Actually I did read the thread you referred, and I still feel not very certain about the optimal choice. From the previous threads there were quite a few alternatives recommended, e.g., TW2405, 3710, 3740, and the one you picked M1227HCT. I am a newbie in these stuff but I didn’t find a noticeable difference in the parameters between tw4721 and those recommended antennas which were believed to have much better performance, so I wonder is there any sorta official reco from your test? I did notice that you were saying larger antennas should have better performance. many thanks,

After testing numerous antennas M1227HCT seems to perform best in airborne tests, however @Charlie_Robinson got great results with stock TW4721 on ground planes as well. Some users report that using TW2405 boosts performance.