Wifi connectivity with android

Hi, I am facing troubles with the wifi connection of a reach rs+ and a android phone (in principle the I have the same issue with a m+). I use the phone to establish a connection to the reach unit (to control it) and to connect to a NTRIP caster (apos - austrian positioning system). All apps are updated to the latest version. The phone is a Samsung A51. The connection works well in the beginning. After a while the connection is killed, just the moment before a fix is established. The unit still is connected to the wifi hotspot of the phone, but can’t be reached by the emlid app, or via the browser. Might anyone have a clue how to fix that issue?

Hi Mathias,

Welcome to our community!

Please share a screencast of what happens in ReachView 3. Here are a couple of tests that will help localize the root of the issue:

• Connect both the unit and the Samsung phone to external Wi-Fi. Does Reach disconnect from the app the same way?

• Connect the unit to the mobile hotspot of another device and check if the same issue occurs. Please use an iOS or a non-Samsung Android device.

Hi kseniia, hi Mathias!

I have got same troubles to connect my Reach RS+ to my Andriod-Phone using as Hotspot (Ulefone Note 8, Android 10).

RS+ is able to connect to the hotspot but I can not access eg with ReachView.

But I think the problem doesn’t depend on ReachView or Reach RS+. I think there is a bug in the latest Android-Update. :frowning:

I can access without any problems if I connect via home-wifi.

Perhaps it will work again with one of the next Andoid-updates…

Best wishes…
Christoph

Hi Kseniia,

Thanks for your quick reply and your suggestions. I gathered some devices: a Sony xperia, a Samsung A40 phone and a Samsung tablet. I don’t have a iOS device available right now - I can look around in the office next week.

The Reach unit is now connected to a wifi network via a Netgear router and works well (access to reach panel with my Lenovo notebook). The connection to all the Android devices is cut off after a few minutes. Reconnecting is kind of a random thing successwise. Android 10 with the Sony works ok (at least reconnecting works after a while after connection is lost). Android 11 with the Samsung A51 units does not work well (reconnecting is not working after connection is cut off). Connection with the Samsung A40 (also Android 11) does not work at all. So it seems the unit is not really compatible with (my) android devices.

Can you name a device that works reliable without errors? I would purchase such a device. Right now the Reach unit is not really an option for us to work with as it is super annoying to fiddle around with this connection issues. Despite that we, couldn’t do a single valid measurement with it until now due to that error…

Thanks again and best wishes,
Mathias

Hi Mathias,

Reach usually works fine with different Android devices, and we haven’t catched any similar issues on our office mobile phones. That’s why it’s hard to say right away why these disconnections occur.

I’ll test Reach RS+ on the latest firmware with some of our office Samsungs and will keep you posted on how it goes. But Android devices can behave differently depending on the OS version, additional updates, or some settings. So, it’s important to dig to the root of the issue anyway: otherwise, it can happen that the new device will work the same way. If we know the reason, it can help fix the setup with your current devices as well.

What’ll help us understand the issue better:

• Does anything unusual happen before the unit disconnects from the app? Do you turn off the screen, start collecting a point, etc.?

• Connect your mobile device to the Reach hotspot. Do the disconnections happen in such a setup? Or do they occur only with mobile hotspots?

Hi Mathias,

Just wanted to give an update: I’ve tested Reach RS+ on 28.4 with Samsung Tab Active 3 and Samsung Tab A on Android 11. The ReachView 3 was on the latest 6.17 version. I’ve connected Reach to the mobile devices’ hotspots, which worked well. So, I can’t reproduce the same issue on our devices. To investigate it further, I’ll need the answers to the questions from my previous post.

Android Hotspot not working? 10 things to try
https://ciksiti.com/hu/chapters/9997-android-hotspot-not-working-10-things-to-try

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts. I really appreciate this.

Regarding your questions. The cut off happens simply after being connected for a while (like 2-3 minutes). There is no further action done. I upgraded to 28.4 today which did not change anything in the behaviour. The ReachView version is 6.17. The cut off happens with the phone connected to the reach’s hotspot as well.

One observation is that the connection to the wifi router in office, or at home is mostly stable, but the connection to a mobile router I tested (one of these little routers using a sim card to get connected to lte) shows the same issues as the phone.

Another observation: when I turn off the reach by pushing the on/off button the pwr led flashes 4 times quickly and the reach can’t be turned on again for a minute or so. Maybe this is something you can work with?

Thanks again and best wishes,
Mathias

Hi Mathias,

Thanks for the details! I’ll talk them through with the team and write you back.

when I turn off the reach by pushing the on/off button the pwr led flashes 4 times quickly and the reach can’t be turned on again for a minute or so.

Reach needs some period to stop all the processes when turned off. Because of this, it can take a bit until you can turn on the device again. So, it’s not an issue.

Hi Mathias,

Please test your Reach with one of your mobile devices when it’s connected to the Reach hotspot. If you see disconnections in ReachView 3, please check if you can access Reach via a browser at 192.168.42.1.

After that, reconnect to Reach in ReachView 3 and download a Full System report. The report provides detailed info about the unit’s performance, so it can give us a clue on what’s wrong. It can also contain some sensitive info, so it’s better to share it via support@emlid.com.

Hi Kseniia,

OK, I will do so. Hope, I’ll find some time next week. Thanks for taking care.

Best wishes,
Mathias

Hi Kseniia,

I gave just submitted the report.

Best wishes,
Mathias

Hi Mathias,

Thanks! I’ve answered you via email.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.