WiFi 2.5 vs 5.8

Does the RS2+ only connect to 2.4ghz WiFi? Can’t get it to connect to 5ghz on my hotspot. All my other equipment connects to the 5ghz network, but I need them to all be on same network.

2 Likes

I swear I have connected to it using my home 5.8g but I also know that I have to put my iPhone hotspot in compatibility mode… I know the RS+ wouldn’t even see 5.8g.

1 Like

It states 2.4, I don’t think it can connect to 5. 5 is not normally recommended for items that move around. I use 5 for computers, tvs, ect. My phones are always on 2.4 since it can reach further.

1 Like

I completely understand the preference in 2.4 over 5 for moving objects, but I only use the reach for ppk logging. It is stationary. Seems it should at least be an option.

1 Like

2.4 only.

You know you don’t have to connect a device to the RS at all in order to log, correct? If you are not sure of what you have set for logging settings, then you need to connect to it to change them. After that, it will happily log away without regard for connection status. So, if you generally use the same settings for logging, just turn it on and walk away. Hook up to it later to download your logs.

2 Likes

I connect to the internet for NTRIP corrections during logging. The main reason for wanting to use 5ghz is so I can connect the reach, my tablet, and my drone remote to the same network. Remote only connect to 5.8ghz, and reach only 2.4ghz. This is the dilemma.

1 Like

If you are using a ppk workflow, how are you using NTRIP?

Which RC is 5.8Ghz wifi only?

1 Like

Emlid Caster provides NTRIP corrections via the internet during logging. I use a Herelink RC for Wispr Systems drone with lidar payload.

1 Like

Okay, not familiar with that gear. Sadly, the RS2, RS2+ is 2.4 only and that is a hardware limitation.

I’m still foggy on your workflow. Typically, you would not receiver real-time corrections when you are planning to post process.

What are you using for a base to feed Emlid Caster? You are trying to connect your RC to what over wifi, the Emlid Caster NTRIP?

1 Like

I set up my RS2+ over a known point, or average the location. Obviously a known point is more accurate. I use Emlid Caster to get corrections via the internet while logging base file for post processing. This was the way I was told/taught. If internet/caster isn’t helping or doing any good, then I won’t do it. It’s a pain when you can’t get good cell service.

Emlid Caster needs to have a base connected and then uses that base to send corrections to a rover. It’s a 2 part deal.

I’m assuming your drone is rtk and/or ppk capable and writes precision coordinates to images and/or file?

When you say you usually do a ppk workflow, what are your doing?

BTW, this is off the subject of the receiver freqs. I’m just curious what your are doing, exactly. The way you are describing it so far is a bit unconventional.

It is evident I am stuck with using 2.4ghz. Not that big of a deal, just extra steps.

The drone/lidar setup I use does not use RTK, it is PPK processing only and the reason for needing to log a static base file. If use a drone/gimbal/camera system I can use RTK to get corrections during flight.

I was taught to set up my base (RS2+) on a known point or just average the location for several minutes, connect to the NTRIP (Emlid Caster via internet) to get corrections, and log a static base file while flying the project. The Rinex base file (.2no) is uploaded to the lidar post processing software to correct the lidar data and produce a point cloud. Point cloud is put in whatever CAD software, but in my case its Carlson Point Cloud Advanced. From there I change the coordinate system (WGS84 to state plane) and produce deliverables (contours, grid, bare earth models, etc). I am completely open to a better or more accurate method of getting a base file. Texas does not have a public cors network, and the few stations they have via NOAA are sparse.

This part is good. If you have a known coordinate and set up your base on that point and log for as long as possible, you can certainly use that observation file for your base observation in a ppk workflow. Not knowing the coordinate and simply averaging/single for as long as possible is okay for relative accuracy, but won’t help you to tie your project to a known CRS (coordinate reference system) the way a known point will. In either case, you should log as long as possible. At a minimum start before and end after any flights.

Without having a base set up on your Emlid Caster, you are not really doing anything with that step. I suggest you learn a bit more about how Emlid Caster works. It is a great tool, but it takes at least 2 receivers for it to work.

Even though you can’t use their real-time network, I believe maybe you can get TXDOT CORs observation logs for free that you can use for PPK if one of their stations is near enough to you. You might look into that.

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/isd/gps/RINEX/

3 Likes

Hi Brad,

Agree with the comments above, but just wanted to sum up. We recommend using Reach receivers with 2.4 GHz networks only. If you record a raw data log for further processing, real-time NTRIP corrections don’t affect it.

Still, the accurate position of the base can help to tie the results to a local CS. You can process base data with a CORS file to find it or use a known point.

1 Like

I am not sure why the RS2+ would not be manufactured with the ability to do 2.4 or 5ghz. That just seems a little crazy as the cost to do both would have to pennies over 2.4 only. When folks have a PPK workflow, the main reason for doing RTK is flight control. It is very useful for helping with terrain following and flying in areas where very accurate flight control is needed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.