Which setting gets more accurate readings?

Hello! I’m a new user with an RS3 base and rover setup using bluetooth connection. I have successfully set both units up and did a test survey and everything worked great. The one question I had is do you get more accurate readings by taking just a single shot? Or if you use the timer setting and have it average say points taken for 5 or 10 seconds?

Obviously I want to get things done faster, and recording just one shot would do that but if it means I have to wait 5 seconds to get a more accurate reading that’s fine with me.

Thanks!

Hi Jon,

Welcome to our community!

It depends on whether you are using tilt compensation or not with your Reach RS3. If the tilt compensation is on, it’s better to do instantaneous measurements. The IMU will help you deliver the highest precision. If you don’t use the tilt compensator, you can set the timer to a couple of seconds. In this case, the avaraging assists you in eliminating the minor inaccuracy of your hand.

1 Like

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks so much for your response. What is the best workflow if I’m working on a site where I may not get a FIX every time? I was surveying today and I had my base set up in a pretty open area with good sky view but I would try and get shots that were on the other side of the house, close to the building and it just wouldn’t get a fixed solution. This happened in some other areas as well. I wasn’t very far away from the base so I’m confused why I wouldn’t be getting a fix. It seems like kind of a big limiting factor if I can’t get shots of the entire exterior of a building just because the base is only 50 feet away on the other side of the house.

I’m just trying to figure out the best way to get the most accurate readings. Many of the sites I work on are not in an open field so it’s hard to imagine that I’ll always have a perfect sky view. Would moving the base to the other side of the house to a known point help this?

I’m sure it’s a user error on my end but the rover seemed to be switching in and out of FIX and Single a lot today. I also couldn’t get into my logging settings after I was done. The button was greyed out even though I was logging the whole time. Is there a way to retrieve this after the fact?

Thanks!

Jon,
Tall obstructions and GPS do not always get along. Being up against things like Houses, Hills, etc. shield most of the sky, meaning that the GPS signals are also shielded, meaning the chances of maintaining a fix become next to impossible.
To have good performance, both the Base and the Rover need a good sky view, not just the base.
If you can, elevate the receiver above any obstructions. If you can’t, perhaps you’d need to use other methods for this type of survey?
Joel

1 Like

It may your settings too… you want mostly GREEN BARS.

I’d start in the DOCS and read things… daunting at first, but you will get it.

1 Like

All you have to do is take your log data from the base and the log data from the rover and do PPK in Emlid Studio. You would use the Stop and Go workflow

@joelbladen is right. All the GNSS receivers are relying on the satellites. If either your rover or your base don’t have a clear sky view, they can’t track the satellites. The correction transmission is just the second step.

I also couldn’t get into my logging settings after I was done. The button was greyed out even though I was logging the whole time. Is there a way to retrieve this after the fact?

Do I suspect you are connecting to the unit over Bluetooth? If this is the case, you can’t open the Logging tab for now. You should choose another way to connect to the unit. If the unit’s network LED is solid blue, it is connected to a Wi-Fi network, and you should see another option to connect to the unit in the list of Available receivers in Emlid Flow. If the network LED is white, you need to connect to the Reach’s hotspot first. After that, you will see it in Emlid Flow.

1 Like

Hi Jon,

Are you using LORA to send corrections from the base to the Rover? What is the age of corrections on your unit when it drops from Fix to Single? What material is the house constructed from?

In my experience, when near structures, the receiver will drop from fix to float if it’s because of obstructions overhead. But if it drops from fix to single it is because of loss of communication of the corrections from the base. LORA is line of sight and can be blocked by especially dense structures (concrete, brick masonry, etc).

If this is what’s causing the problem, you could solve it by using cellular to pass the corrections to the rover over NTRIP (like with emlid caster).

Hope you get it worked out.

2 Likes