Which RTN mobile data plan do you use?

SIM cards and RTN data plans offered by providers that are explicitly designed for GNSS receivers and tablets is something I’m currently researching.

For example, simply calling my local AT&T store, I first had to explain to the lad answering the phone what a GNSS receiver was and after checking with one of his colleagues, he was able to tell me the closest data plan that AT&T offered would cost $35/mo. I didn’t ask him during the 9-minute conversation if there was any sort of month-to-month plan or if it required some other termed agreement, e.g. 12-month, etc.

Then I came onto something that at first seemed perfect for the RS2+ units: https://rtkmobile.com/ … that is until I found out during our 17-minute conversation, that technically, they were obligated to only provide their products and services to Carlson customers, not Emlid customers.

Next, a Google search for the terms:
SIM cards and data plans for GNSS receivers

And the best result was this thread started by my old friend Shawn Billings: DAC (Data Activation Center) cellular SIM Cards

Adam also linked this DAC related NSPS podcast:

FWIW & FYI -
DAC Rate Card.pdf (665.5 KB)
From my chat this afternoon with Ena:

Welcome to LiveChat
Ena Diaz
Support Agent
Ena Diaz 01:08 PM
Hello Kelly Bellis! How can I help you have a wonderful day?
Name:
Kelly Bellis
Question: How can we help you today?
Just looking for a data plan / SIM card to use during my tests with Emlid RS2+ units
Kelly Bellis 01:11 PM
Just looking for a data plan / SIM card to use during my tests with Emlid RS2+ units
Ena Diaz 01:11 PM
Good afternoon Kelly! Thanks for reaching out. I’d be more than happy to get you set up. Do you currently have an account with us or will this be a new account?
Kelly Bellis 01:11 PM
I’m just looking. I don’t have an account.
Ena Diaz 01:13 PM
DAC Rate Card.pdf
Oh no worries. For the Emlid RS2+ units I believe they are ATT only devices. We offer several options to cover you data needs. Please find our rate sheet attached.
Kelly Bellis 01:14 PM
Thank you Ena. I’ll review the DAC Rate Card and be back in touch!
Read
Ena Diaz 01:15 PM
Absolutely, please do not hesitate to reach back out should you have any additional questions. Hope you have a marvelous day!
Ena Diaz has closed the chat.
Is this the first time you have chatted with us about this case?
Yes
Was the case resolved during the chat?
Yes
You left the following comment: Thank you for your help!
You rated our customer service as good.
DAC Rate Card.pdf (665.5 KB)

1 Like

Now, mobile data might work very different in the US, but at least here in Denmark I just ordered some more sim-cards, so they all share the same data-plan that I use for my phone anyway. It has “unlimited” data, and runs 3g, 4g and 5g.

2 Likes

Hi Kelly, you might want to look into https://www.redpocket.com/
They offer monthly data plans starting at $10.00 a month for 1 gig of data. I currently use that plan with the sim card located in a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot along with an subscription to SmartNet’s RTN service. It works well for me. I have never used the sim card in my Emlid RS2’s, because it doesn’t have the built-in 4G modem like the newer RS2+ models have. Redpocket also offers 5gigs of data for $25.00/month, if you need more data capacity. I like the hotspot, because I can connect multiple devices to it for accessing the internet and such, and it lasts all day for me. For me, in South Central Texas, it uses the AT&T network
Regards, Mark

1 Like

@mark1st.john Thanks Mark for adding RedPocket as a resource. I might have tried RedPocket, had I not already gone ahead yesterday afternoon and set up a DAC account.

@wizprod
Hello Christian,

Could you please clarify and I apologize for what sounds like a stupid question:
Is the SIM that you’re using inserted into the RS2+

I understand that Mark has a/ the sim card located in a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot and that he has never used the sim card in the Emlid RS2.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.