When the signal tracking L2 will be included in Reach RS + ...?

Good morning, dear friends, I am new to this community and I have certain doubts:

• Having a base control point at a distance of approximately 60 km, as I can link two Reach RS + in static mode, 2 hours at a distance of 3 km. Knowing that its limitation has a base frequency of L1 and not L2 … How do you solve it …?

• For when will they include the satellite frequency L2 or L5 in the Reach RS + model?

• In the city of La Paz / Bolivia we normally buy local base station base points, when purchasing they are in rinex format. Ask how would you link with Reach RS + by performing a base linear adjustment in the Trimble Busin Center (TBC) program …?

Again, thank you for your response time, very attentively Juan Luis
La Paz, Bolivia
juanluischq@gmail.com

Not sure I completely understand your questions, but I can try:

• Baseline shouldn’t be more than 10 km, however, I have successfully used EUREF CORS data from 80-147 km (of course with the added error of 1 mm / km)
  • The Reach RS+ is L1 only.
  • You can use NTRIP stations, or postprocess using Rinex data. It might be easier to do the post-processing in Emlid’s version of RTKlib.

Well, if they “ever” did, I don’t think it would fall under the same name “RS+”.

It would be awesome if they did develop this though! What I don’t understand is why not?
What prohibits this? Special materials from Mars or Saturn?
They have already disrupted the industry, so why not REALLY disrupt it! Kind of like what RING is doing to ADT!

While they are at it, dual hot swappable batteries.
Enhanced visual and audible feedback on the unit. I.e. FIX.

What probably stops them are a lack of low cost Multi-frq receiver like the ublox in the current units.

1 Like

They’re on their way u-blox announces u-blox F9 robust and versatile high precision positioning technology for industrial and automotive applications

2 Likes

Why is there a “lack” if “low cost”?

EDIT: sorry, for some reason I was thinking Emlid developed the receiver chip, but they just utilize them by companies like u-blox. So once ready by u-blox or the like, we could start seeing multi-freq products.

So I guess my question would be more directed to u-blox than Emlid… but myozone enlightened me to good news!

Thank you myozone for that great news!!!

Obviously this is news from U-blox and nothing to do with Emlid. I’ve no idea what they may or may not do if the future.

Dave.

Good simple reading about multi-frequency:

What about Piksi Multi?

Prob still better to wait for u-blox though and will probably be cheaper.

Unfortunately in my country they require technical reports containing L2 frequency in the baseline settings. In that sense, it will be necessary to wait for the construction or implementation of the u-blox f9 card in the EMLID REACH + … receivers?
In what month will the next updated model …?

Multi Frequency (adding L2 or L5 frequencies) can help getting a quick FIX in tough environments. The PIKSI Multi is nice product, but the “kit” form is $2K for 2 bare boards receivers/antennas/radios, and it’s far from “ready to use” in the field. The PIKSI DURO is a bit more “ready to go” but it’s $2500, over 3 times the price of the Reach RS+. And watch the youtube review. It’s terribly hard to set up, needs a laptop for complex configuration, and you can’t adjust parameters and watch status with a cell phone on the go like you can with Reach RS+. They can’t compete with the Reach RS+ for the user interface, in spite of a few bugs.

All companies are “staying mum” about future products and dual frequency. They have to. They don’t want to jeopardize existing established device sales until they know it’s ready to ship. iPhone sales fall in the months before the new phone is going to come out. And the new technology doesn’t always work as expected. Example: Broadcom announced the BCM47755 13 months ago. Only one product has come out, the Xiaomi Mi 8. And it’s positioning is no better than other phone’s GNSS. What a bummer.

Don’t expect to hear any new product information until it’s ready to ship. All companies keep that very secret.

1 Like

Plus one. L2 is good, but L5 would be better as it is defined as a frequency to stabilize and get through interference better. The current Reach RS+ has plenty of range in base/rover configuration in unobstructed territory, but the majority of my projects have trees and/or 100’+ elevation changes.

When technology from ublox will be available, emlid will surely develop an advance Reach RS+ model based on Ublox F9p.

I see that those who preceded me, are highly updated:
1.- To the mention that you make that Emlid Reach RS + is terrible in capturing data in places with a difference of +/- 100 meters of obstacle interference of objects. For example, in my city of La Paz is constituted by an irregular topography of slopes covered by variable vegetation, construction and buildings of 50 floors. I thought that with product (Kit Reach +) I was going to give solutions in urban areas and I see that it only serves for flat land without buildings.
Any friend who has done data reliability tests (RMS) using RTK and PPK survey methods on irregular terrains on hillsides that contain saturation of urban areas …?

2.- With what programs do you use base line adjustment processing in order to obtain parameters of SCALE FACTOR …?

3.- When loading a list of points but in flat coordinates (UTM: EAST, NORTH, COTA) in Reach + as you rethink about it, there is no user manual for your application …?

4.- If xiomi Mi8 if already launched with GNSS frequencies L1, L2 and L5 and extremely economic. If they can not find out which card they use to clone successful experiences in EMLID REACH RS + …?

Thanking you for your sincere answers, I remain in doubt in the purchase of the kit REACH +.

Atte, Juan Luis

I don’t think there is anything on the market that comes within a bulls roar of the Emlids for <1000$ a piece, out of the box, ready to go, good user interface, functionality, and help.

The Swift Navigation PKSI is just a KIT albeit a L1/L2 kit similarly priced to EMLID. BUT it’s a kit suited for developers and experimenters. If ever package similar to EMLID it will come at a price somewhat pricier than EMLID. However it would be putting EMLID on notice.

I personally don’t subscribe to the much published furphy of “open sky” constraints on the emllds everyone talks about. I find it’s down to satellite geometry and forward planning for capturing quality data.

The photo below FAILS miserably for “open sky” and that’s not the worst locality I use he Emlids in!! It is set over a known co-ordinated station. The captured converted lat/lon values are within ± 5mm. The time to work here was based on forward looking at the satellite coverage days ahead and picking a time where there was a good spread of satellites to the north and east plus a some patience. For the 1st minute the system flicks in and out of float, single with and an odd fix.By the second minute it is mostly toggling float/fix. The values for PDOP is usually around 1.6 and AR flipping >3/<3. By the 4th minute FIX is holding for longish periods. PDOP still around the 1.6 value and AR values in the 100’s isn’t uncommon. I then capture 5 to 10 40 second observations.

My take on reflections is yes they do do have an affect BUT ONLY FOR the 1st few minutes! Over time they have little to no effect on the data.

In summary -

1. Have a GOOD BASIC understanding of GNSS
  2. Pick observation windows based on BEST satellite coverage and more importantly SKY POSITIONING to suite terrain constraints placed on you.
  3. Have patience
  4. Have confidence in the data captured
  5. Be prepared for good days and bad days

EMLID won’t suite all requirements, environments or users BUT IT SURE FITS MOST.

7 Likes

I enjoyed a fixed solution in this environment. Lots of metal for multipath and sky blockage.

5 Likes

I think too much emphasis has been associated to multipath and clear sky view early on in Emlid and it has grown out of proportion ever since.

Its one of those easy things to assign to problems.

1 Like

Whoa, hold on there. FIX doesn’t mean correct. It just means the solution found is more than AR times better than the next best alternative using the least squares residuals. You can get a fix in a wrong place. Dual frequency means that you are making measurements with two rulers at different scales, not just one, so the chance of finding a spot that is falsely right is reduced, and the speed of iteration to the location with least residuals is speeded up by the two length scales used.

10 Likes

I noticed that CSG Shop (https://www.csgshop.com/) is shipping the F9P now. Ardusimple’s kickstarter also says they are shipping now in December (simpleRTK2B receivers & affordable multiband RTK antennas - ArduSimple). I really hope Emlid can come to market quickly with this new module and a decent antenna. It will be groundbreaking.

1 Like