When I launch my drone... (GCS/network)

Hi, I have some questions.

A lot of people concerned and answered without even asking about GCS and network.
Now finally I want some answers formally.
I do not have any RC or receiver because I planned only for complete autopilot flight, and here is the question.

As you know, I cannot launch a drone with 11 efficiency at home. But, if we leave my home, we would not be able to stay connect with my network. So far I do not have any bluetooth or something like that. And I will get this done by tomorrow. I just need my drone to fly for only 20~40 meters. I do not know even how to connect on Mission Planner. Do you guys have any recommendation? Actually I want specific description. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Where do I start?

First, I assume Andy_L and Andrew_L are the same person.

Second, I hardly understand what you are asking for. What is “11 efficiency”? And you can ask for help, but “wanting” answers is not going to get you anywhere.

So you want to do a school project. That´s fine.

I do not know what guidelines you were given for your project from your teachers or if a teacher helped with selecting your project, but did you actually do some research, before you decided to build a copter?

RC vehicles alone are a wide field of knowledge and craftmanship, even without complicated things like autopilots. And among the autopilots Navio is special, because it needs a Linux computer (RPi) to work.
Emlid did a great job making the use of the Navio2 as easy as possible, but I still think a KK2.1 board is easier to use for a beginner.

And then you want to write your own INS software, which can not access the sensors while arducopter is running, so you need to use the sensor data arducopter is providing in its telemetry stream. That means decoding mavlink messages.

I try to list all the different tasks/fields of knowledge you have to cover:

1. Basic knowledge about PCs/operating systems (Linux preferred)

2. Basic networking knowledge (IP addresses, network masks, TCP, UDP, Ports, etc.)

3. Basic electrical knowledge (soldering, standard wire colors, avoiding ESD)

4. Knowledge about RC vehicles:

a. How do the controls work (even if you want your copter to fly on its own, you should know what pitch, roll and yaw means)

b. Setting up and tuning arducopter

c. Knowing how to use MissionPlanner to make your copter fly “on its own”

d. Knowledge about the regulations regarding RC vehicles in your country ( insurance, dedicated RC control required, allowed frequencies/transmit power for telemetry)

I probably forgot a lot of things I take for granted, but can you check any of the points I mentioned?
I do not know how long ago you started your project, but you joined this forum a month ago and that is hardly enough time to learn everything I listed above.

The easiest and most reliable way for telemetry would be a telemetry radio kit like this one:

I wish you all the best with your project.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking this question seriously, I think I need to take this reply seriously.

Yeah, I remember that you told me to have at least basic knowledge of this field from the internet.

1. Andy_L is my school account because I accidently log on with it at school.
    Andrew_L is my personal google synced account. Glad that you realize, It was not my intention to make two accounts so I can give people or me an extra like:heart:. Even though you never thought that, just to make sure.

2. I expected that one of experts who is replying this question like you might stuck on understanding the meaning of “11 efficiency”. You know drone motor’s efficiency. I thought drone’s efficiency is kind of power of motors? maybe? I was trying to say motors are pretty strong so those are unable to fly indoor. To summarize 'Because of network does not work in outside, I cannot launch with an obvious outdoor drone.

3. For guidelines of my middle school science fair project, we must have MANIPULATED / RESPONDING / CONTROLLED VARIABLES. and inconstant (Manipulated) variable is “INS V. GPS”. Also importantly, it was due today. I only have one more extra day left. That is why I am hesitating to buy more materials. I can’t.

4. Basic Knowledge, thank you for summarized list. I think I need to ask more about Mission Planner.

5. Actually this is my first experience to have engineering and programming project in my life. Also, I thought it might not be that hard.

PS. I will be back after I learn everything you listed above. Thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How can I get basic knowledge of OS?

Take small steps in learning, otherwise it might seem overwhelming. But you are young, so you will learn fast. It might not help you with your project at hand, but I would suggest starting with a copter with a simpler flightcontroller and learn to fly it yourself.
RC flying is really a fun hobby and it is much more affordable nowadays.
If you are more interested in autonomous vehicles, try building a rover with the Navio2.
Rovers have less tendancy to fall out of the sky if something goes wrong and are easier to control via telemetry. They are also less dangerous if they go out of control. No fast spinning propeller blades.

If you do not have the time to buy more equipment, your best bet is to use a smartphone mobile hotspot, but expect your range to be really limited. It will also be hard to setup/tune the copter without a RC transmitter. Arducopter can be used on copters of many sizes etc. so it will be necessary to adjust some settings.

Motor power is meassured in Watt (W). Efficiency is a way to say how much of the electrical power you put into the motor, comes out as mechanical power. It is often given as gramms of thrust per Watt (g/W).
So you can have small and big motors with high efficiency.

Thank you for your offer. Actually study RC vehicles were not my intention. I was just trying to code like learn code or programming. I wanted to look fancy you know. That was my only purpose. But, there was nothing can do with computer science project for science fair unless you are an expert. Because I did not want to work on some Earth, chemistry, or easy but not funny experiment. I like to be with computer. But, maybe by this experience, I would get interest on RC vehicles though.

Thank You.

If you want to learn how to use linux, the Raspberry Pi is a good way to start. If something goes wrong, it is not the family pc that’s down.
Do not waste your time with a desktop GUI. If you really want to learn linux, it is best to use the command line.

1 Like

Only the problem that I got hatred toward command line is because Navio2 actually. Haha, You know I do not know any command language where can I learn From?

But thank you for your great offer.

If you want to use a computer and code something, get an Arduino. It is easy to hook up all kinds of things to it, like servos, sensors RGB LEDs (or simple ones, but RGB is more fun). My recent rover alone has about 6 arduinos in it for different tasks. I build a cool lantern for my son with a strip of RGB LEDs and we build a lego garage with an automatic door with an arduino and a continuous rotation servo.

2 Likes

There is nothing to hate about. Just a bit of a learning curve. You can learn from googling your problem and see how others might have solved it or go the formal way and read a book about Raspberry Pi/Linux/Command Line.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for your advice.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.