What's the advantage of navio2

I have a question about navio what’s its advantages compared with other autopilot. It needs to work with raspi while for other autopilots, just one board is OK. And raspberry pi is very heavy compared with autopilot.

At first, I thought pi and navio2 can work simultaneously and independently, but it turns out after pi asks navio2 to work, it can not execute other code. So I did not see any advantage here.

Like compressing video and streaming it real time???

Marc

You can run other code. Just going to be limited by fact that it is running the autopilot and its a raspi.

All depends on your requirements. Frankly if you do not need ability to access things like WiFi, python, gstreamer or ros then there may not be any advantage. Its not as simple as running a pixhawk as there is a bit of a learning curve with Linux. Emlid has done a good job of making it relatively simple but the fact remains that running Navio adds complexity to most builds.

My opinion is if you need a build with a companion computer than Navio becomes a solid consideration as it may reduce complexity in that case. If you don’t need a companion computer than keep it simple and light and run a pixhawk or pixracer.

1. Lighter than having autopilot, say pixhawk and RPi (slightly less processing power)
  2. Connects directly to Autopilot giving many advantages, no need to deal with mavlink forwarding
  3. mavlink forwarding for gimbal or other accessories is much easier from RPi than from other autopilots.
  4. Still only weights about as much as Naza (although the Naza has a case)
  5. Saves a lot of money and weight, you don’t need to buy separate modules for GPS, OSD, LED’s You can use the RPi for all these features. Also, FPV can be done with a $20 wifi adapter (digital video) or get a usb to analog and use the RPi cam for analog video.

So in my opinion if you do need lots of scripts, the Navio 2 still saves you a lot of money and weight, since the lighter flight controllers generally need separate modules for everything listed in #5; which come out to a similar (likely greater) cost, weight, and power consumption than the Navio. Then you could even buy a second RPi and cluster together if you really needed extra compute power. Again, like I said the RPi is so great because it integrates seamlessly with flight functions.

if you don’t need lots of extra scripts running, the RPi can still do everything listed in #5. Which again while it may seem heavier than something like the Pixhawk mini, the weight (and cost) adds up with all the other modules these other controllers generally require. Where the Navio is much more of an all in one seamlessly integrated package.

Thanks all of you above. Now I think it’s possible for me to do my project. Thanks!