What coordinate system is Reach using?

Is it WGS?

Sorry for the noob question.

2 Likes

Considering Reach is based on RTKLIB, this is the info I got from RTKLIB manual:

The receiver or satellite positions in RTKLIB are internally represented as the X, Y, Z components in an ECEF (earth center earth fixed) coordinates system. What ECEF frame used is not explicitly defined but depends on the satellite ephemeris and the predefined base station position. For example, with GPS signals and navigation data, the single point positioning results are obtained in WGS84. The baseline analysis with the base station with the position in an ECEF frame basically brings the rover position in the same ECEF frame. Practically, all of usually used ECEF frames in GNSS navigation processing like WGS 84, PZ90.02 and ITRF, are identical within the accuracy of broadcast ephemeris or single point positioning. However, more strict and careful handling of the coordinates system is needed for the baseline analysis or PPP. The unified coordinates system is desirable to minimize the processing error in these cases.

I assume baseline analysis means differential techniques like RTK, and more consideration is needed for such cases? Would be interested to know too.

If vertical accuracy is important to you as well, then you will also need to consider which geoid will be suitable for your needs. Not a geodesist myself unfortunately…

I’d be interested to know also. Does Reach just use EPSG:4326 WGS84 “only”? 3D coords, but what about planar 2D coordinate system as used in data collectors with MicroSurvey and the such?

Hey there,

The coordinate system used in ReachView (WGS84) doesn’t affect projections in your external software. Planar 2D coordinate system is configured on the side of FieldGenius.

1 Like