Using Tilt Compensation - getting error message if using wifi

Yesterday was my first time to use the tilt compensation. It seems that it is only stable using the Beta BlueTooth connection. If I try to use the Wireless connection, it kept giving an error with the Tilt Compensator. But when I would open the up the tilt compensator settings, it was on, and showed no errors.

Also if I closed my screen to put phone in my pocket it would cause problems. So the phone/tablet must stay open and active at all times. I guess this is normal for the app?

Lastly, it would sure be nice to have a photo action within the Field360 app. I take photos of every control point (not topos). So I have to toggle between the app and iphone camera. If the Field360 app had a simple camera app to snap a photo, that would be awesome.

4 Likes

The error when connecting via wifi is odd. Using the phone’s hotspot, or the RS3’s?

So, you collect points with your phone in your pocket? That is kind of unusual.

The ability to take and store images in a project has been suggested, and is a good idea.

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

The error when connecting via wifi is odd. Using the phone’s hotspot, or the RS3’s?
I did it both ways. With the new blutooth connection it can provide correction via blutooth and therefore there is no wifi conectivity needed. I have not yet installed a SIM card in the RS3 like I have in my RS2+ units. I will have to do more testing. There is certain functionality that can not be done via Blutooth and you must connect via wifi. Not sure why only some functions can be done when using the beta blutooth connection. Again, I just started using the RS3 so I will know more as I use it more.

So, you collect points with your phone in your pocket? That is kind of unusual.
I collect point holding my phone. Then when I get ready to drive around the 75-200 acre sites in my truck I put the phone in my pocket and hold the pole between my door and truck resting on the nerf bar to go from from one spot to the next. I have had a phone holder mounted on the pole but when driving around it is better for me to simply not have a phone/tablet holder on the pole. I could use the magnet mount on top of my truck but that is time consuming to dismount the receiver from the pole, quick connect it to the top of the truck, put the pole in the back of the truck and repeat the process over and over.

The ability to take and store images in a project has been suggested, and is a good idea.
Yes it would be very nice! It would also be nice to enter the antenna height in meters even when the survey is setup in US-SF. I can do that in my Trimble TSC3 tablet so it would be nice to eventually have this feature in Emlid. I have other wants but those are my top 2.

The main purpose of the post was to see if it is a requirement for the screen to stay active in order to use the blutooth connection. Seems they could fix the app where it would stay connected via blutooth even if the phone/tablet screen was turned off (in my case to put it in my pocket and drive to the next destination).

1 Like

another reason I don’t care for it to be mounted on the pole is because I do take photos of all the gcp’s. When doing topo only shots, I then I do want it mounted if walking around. If doing the topo shots driving around, I have the phone mounted on my dash while holding the pole.

Hi Tim,

I use the the RS3 as a rover connected to my phone’s wifi hotspot. And just like you, I set the pole inside the vehicle with the unit sticking out the window while driving to the next point. I have not had the problems with the tilt turning off that you mention. For reference, I’m using Flow on an Android phone. When I get to the next point, the app is still on the survey page and ready to measure. Occasionally, I hear the RS3 dropping FIX and regaining FIX as I drive around equipment. This is using LORA. But at the next point, it is ready to go.

Maybe an uninstall/reinstall of Flow will make a difference?

1 Like

I do not have a RS3, but was wondering if the TILT function relies on Bluetooth to function? I think I have seen some of these chinese receivers use Bluetooth with TILT function.

I use Android also, which everyone knows has much more granular control of settings than iOS. Wondering if there is a setting to keep the Bluetooth communication alive even if turning display off etc? Pretty sure Android has this option (or knows by default)… but I refuse to use Apple products… but unfortunately have to pay through the nose for them as the rest of my family “HAVE TO HAVE APPLE” iPhones and iPads to PLAY on. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Tilt works via wifi. The bluetooth connection with the RS2/+/3 is still a beta function I believe.

Yeah, the “walled garden” concept has never appealed to me. I’ve used IPads on drones for years, but other than that use case, I don’t use the Apple ecosystem. And what you have to pay for a mac to get the power of a pc is nuts. Obviously, lots of folks like Apple products, though.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I will need to try an Android device. I use my iphone. I have an old Google Phone but the android version may be too old. i will have to check.

I will get a SIM card installed in the RS3 this weekend.

I had issues with the Tilt compensation not working while connected via wifi, but when I turned wifi off and only used the bluetooth, it seemed much more stable. I should have just waited until I have some decent time using it before posting as I would have a very good handle on any issues I am having and what seems to work well vs what does not. I was only relying on the Tilt comp when shooting topo as that made it much faster. But for my gcp’s I had to level up and do it right.

Another nice feature of the TC was finishing in the dark :slight_smile: That made it very nice!

Thanks for the info on android. Have a great weekend and I will report back when I have had some decent time on the RS3 and firmly know it inside and out on quirks, issues, etc.

3 Likes

Hi Tim,

If I try to use the Wireless connection, it kept giving an error with the Tilt Compensator. But when I would open the up the tilt compensator settings, it was on, and showed no errors.

Can you provide a screenshot of how it looks from your phone? Please also share a Full System report to support@emlid.com.

Also if I closed my screen to put phone in my pocket it would cause problems.

Can you specify what issues you face?

This information will help me answer your question about the background work on iPhones.

Lastly, it would sure be nice to have a photo action within the Field360 app. I take photos of every control point (not topos). So I have to toggle between the app and iphone camera. If the Field360 app had a simple camera app to snap a photo, that would be awesome.
Yes it would be very nice! It would also be nice to enter the antenna height in meters even when the survey is setup in US-SF.

Thank you for your suggestions! I’ve passed them on to our development team. Feel free to share what else you would like to see in the Emlid Flow.