Using RTK-GPS + UAV system in French Polynesia and on ocean enivronment

Hello, has anyone used the Emlid RTK-GPS system in French Polynesia (Tahiti) or knows that it works? I am trying to figure out what is the best coordinate system to use to do some mapping at the famous surf break known as Teahupo’o.

Are there any known restrictions or permits that I would need to pair this work with UAV mapping? Also, a team of us will be mapping the reef with in-situ underwater surveys, so am wondering if anyone has creative ideas in creating GCPs that can float/easily be seen to be overlaid with our underwater surveys.

Thank you so much for any advice.

Hello,

As a dealer I sold a good amount of these gears in Tahiti and everything is fine there. The datum to use is “RGPF / UTM zone 6S”, and the geoid is “NGPF height”.

If necessary, get in touch with Geopolynesie company, Mr Christian Friot especially. He will guide you.

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you for the help! I will look into and try and reach out to him.

Hi Kainalu,

I also have some guides that can come in handy for you. You’re planning to use our mapping kit, right? For such a setup, you need to make sure that your camera provides hot shoe access. You can find all the details of the workflow in this guide.

And here is also a guide about placing GCPs in RTK.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.