Using Reach as base station for agricultural guidance

Hello,

I’m thinking using Reach as base station over ntrip to have my own caster and providing RTK correction to existing rover.

I actually have one septentrio AsteRx2eL_HDC for doign this job but i need 2 more fixed base station.
Rover have L1/L2 john deere receiver (navcomm). and can’t be changed by reach one.
But they can connect to caster and receive RTCM signal correction.

Should this work be done with Reach receiver as base station and only with L1 correction signal?

Regards
Olivier

Olivier, I am interested in this subject also. I don’t completely understand your question so I’m going to try to reword it in the hopes that we might find someone who can help us. Tell me if I have this correct:

1. You have a septentrio AsteRx-U base station. (Nice! What’s the cost for that?)

2. You need two additional base stations (three total).

3. Your rover has a John Deere receiver.

4. You want to know if the Reach can act as a base station, especially since it only has L1.

5. You realize that the John Deere receiver on the rover will not directly use RTCM corrections from a Reach because JD requires NCT.

6. Your John Deere receiver can receive corrections from an NCT caster which is fed RTCM corrections. (Which one?)

I have JD SF3000 receivers. I have largely given up on sending corrections to them. It’s way too complicated to work with Deere equipment, so I’m moving on to more standard equipment. Perhaps someone here can help you with that, though. I’ll be interested if there’s a simple and robust solution.

My bigger interest is whether or not L1-only corrections are sufficient for an L1/L2 receiver. On one hand, it seems reasonable to me that the atmospheric conditions affecting the L1 signal would be very similar to those affecting L2. I can certainly understand if that’s not sufficient, however.

I would love to be able to use the Reach RS as a base station for L1/L2 receivers, but I don’t want to do it (and recommend it to others) if it hobbles L1/L2 receivers.

–kyler

Hello Kylerlaid.

You are almost right.

1+2. I would like to provide RTCM correction to 10 rover in Belgium. To keep a good range between rover and base station i need 3 base station in total.
Today, i’m working with only 1 base station but the precision is not suffisent on the whole area i would cover.

1. Yes the rover use JD SF3000 receiver

2. Right

5 + 6. No, with mobile RTK activated and the use of an additional 3G modem in place of the radio, this receiver is able to connect to CORS and support RTCM as well as CMR correction signal.

The purpose should be to use the reach as base station with a baseline of min 15km.

Regards
Olivier

1 Like

Olivier,

Before I noticed your response I decided to research RTCM corrections for the SF3000 again. I recall from years ago that there were some unapproved ways to do it and something that was only available in Europe. I found the “John Deere Mobile RTK” which sure sounds like what I want (and what you have).
https://stellarsupport.deere.com/site_media/pdf/en/manuals/mrtk/ompfp12875_25jan13_ENG.pdf

This press release makes it sound like the US version only works with JDLink Connect to use a “number of established networked RTK base stations”. What does that mean?

I’m going to make a call tomorrow…

Thanks!

–kyler

Ah! Looking through the manual some more I think I understand now. The “number of established networked RTK base stations” stuff is BS; it’ll connect over NTRIP to whatever server you specify.

So it’s not really able to simply take RTCM corrections (from an RS-232 line, for example). It has to go through JDLink to get the corrections via NTRIP.

I have avoided touching JDLink and I don’t think I want to start but it’s an interesting option for others.

Have you guys tested a Reach RS acting as a base sending RTCM3 corrections to any other standard L1/L2 rovers? I don’t have Deere GPS equipment but I have Topcon, Trimble and some other stuff.

I’d be interested to here (a) if this works (b) what the accuracy deviation is compared to using a normal L1/L2 base.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed after 100 days. New replies are no longer allowed.