Upgrades needed for Raspbian Stretch to Emlid Raspbian

Hello,

I have been recently forced to reconsider burning a new image of Raspbian as the Emlid Raspbian version I am using on the RPi model 3B doesn’t seem to work with the new RPi model 3B+. Presumably the boot files have been changed for this board and the old code does not work anymore.

As building the environment I need takes considerable more time when using Emlid Raspbian, I would prefer modifying the latest Raspbian Pixel version to have the same functionalities as the Emlid Raspbian.

Could you please tell me what major upgrades I need to do in order to have the same functionalities when using NAVIO2 (not interested in ardupilot for now)?

Many thanks,
minu

Hello.

Have you had problems with our last image? It should have RPI 3B+ support.

Could you please tell me what major upgrades I need to do in order to have the same functionalities when using NAVIO2 (not interested in ardupilot for now)?

It’s not easy task. You can look into pi-gen - tool for creating images for RPi. There you will find differences between our image and Raspbian.

Hey Alexey,

No, I haven’t had problems with the last image so far. It works on RPi 3B+. The downside is that I cannot build the same desktop environment as I needed before for the RPi 3B.

As previously, I have used the commands from here to have a GUI on the Emlid Raspbian. While the Emlid image from 2017 adds the GUI without problems, the current one needs extra commands and, finally, you end up with a quite crappy Openbox DE, that doesn’t even have a terminal or WiFi applets.

I would like to have the same nice GUI as I had on the RPi 3B on the newer 3B+ models:

It’s not easy task. You can look into pi-gen 4 - tool for creating images for RPi. There you will find differences between our image and Raspbian.

Can I use these commands on top of the Pixel Raspbian or do I need a Lite version instead?

P.S. In order to use the Navio libraries in my Qt programs and have full control of the Navio board, do I need to have the tools on the Emlid Raspbian, or will it work with any Raspbian if I have the Navio libraries?

Hello!

Sorry it’s taken us so long to get back to you. Could you please describe your project in a little more detail? If you don’t intend to get your drone into the air (that’s discouraged with GUI anyway), it’s pretty easy to port our libraries and drivers to the stock Raspbian.

• You need to compile rcio-dkms against your kernel headers (which might be installable by apt-get). This is essential to get the headers for the kernel you see in uname -a. The instruction how to compile our driver are in the README.md. They’re mostly in sync. Only version needs adjusting. But it’s pretty easy to fix. A PR is always welcome!

• Navio2 repo doesn’t have any dependencies except rcio-dkms. So you’re good to go.

Hope it helps.

Hi,

Have you figured it out?

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.