U-blox releases two GNSS positioning modules

U-blox has released two modules based on the u-blox F9 high-precision GNSS platform. The low-power NEO-F9P supports precise navigation and automation of moving industrial machinery, and the ZED-F9P-15B provides customers in the mobile robotics market with an L1/L5 option in addition to the L1/L2 bands.

The NEO-F9P and the ZED-F9P-15B GNSS modules feature concurrent reception of GPS, Galileo, and BeiDou; multi-band L1/L5 real-time kinematic; short convergence times; and reliable performance. The modules deliver centimeter-level accuracy in seconds and comes in small, high-precision module form factors.

5 Likes

The L5 band would be a very nice addition. Looking forward to future Emlid products integrating it.

1 Like

Is L5 still pre-operational?

What good are some of these that offer only L1 (and L5 but not operational yet?), and do not have L2? Then you only have L1? Why not have all (3) L1 L2 & L5?

Isn’t the newer iPhones L1 & L5 only (not L2?)

If L1 & L2 are sufficient… anyone know the benefits of L5 in addition, available to the public?

Can receiver just be L5 (no L1 or L2) and be superior? Seems best to have all 3 options to fall back on incase of problems with satellites.

As I understand it (take that with a grain of salt), you can use L5 today. All 3 are better.

I do not know about iPhones.

These articles outline some of the benefits:

https://equatorstudios.com/l1-l2-and-l5-gps-signals-what-do-they-mean/
L5-only receiver designed for mobile phones - GPS World.
GPS signals - Wikipedia

In short:
-less interference
-less multipath
-stronger signal
-available to civilians

Yes, you could be L5 only. Superior? Dunno, but I doubt it. Having all 3 (I am also lumping L2C in with L2) would be the best best. The more signals and channels (ie. “ears” to “hear” the signals), the better.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.