Trouble Getting RTK Fix

Hello,

I have been working with the Reach RTK devices for a quadcopter. I have been trying to get a good RTK fix that lasts longer than a few minutes. I have a few questions:

1. What am I doing wrong with my configuration?
  2. What kind of accuracy/ error should I expect with this system (in real time)? The best I have seen on the Reachview app is +/- 7 cm.
  3. When the Reachview app shows Kinematic Fix, mission planner shows “rtk float” (and a status of 5). Is this correct? It seems like it should show “rtk fix”.

I have one Reach unit sitting on a tripod that I have configured as a base station. The second unit is in the quadcopter. The quadcopter is running an Navio2 autopilot. I use Mission Planner to inject the base GNSS observations into the MAVlink data stream. All the data/protocol links appear to be working correctly (the rover gets the base observations and Navio2 gets the corrected GNSS from the Reach.)

The base station has a nice ground plane (12 cm x 12 cm AL plate 1-2 mm thick) and is using a Tallysman 3710 antenna
The quadcopter does not have a ground plane but the antenna is Maxtenna Helical L1 Active M1575HCT-A-SMA.

Firmware image: ??? not sure where to find this. I updated to the most current a month ago.
ReachView version: 2.5.3-r0

Base station configuration screens:

Rover station configuration screens:

I’ve never worked with RTKLIB so I may have the wrong files attached for that but here they are:
I guess I am not allowed to upload attachments as a new user.

Here is a screenshot of RTKPLOT:

I would definitely get a groundplate about 10cm radius. Not necessarily to get better reception, but to shield antenna from interference. By quick googling the antenna, it doesnt look like to have a groundplate at a propper size.
Also upgrading firmware is a good idea too :wink: You upgrade firmare by connecting reach to a network with internet access

Found the answer to my 3rd question here:
Reach integration with Pixhawk Issues

Need to update ArduPilot.

We tested this antenna with quite poor results. Would not recommend it. Unlike the M1227HCT which is great.

This topic was automatically closed after 100 days. New replies are no longer allowed.