Time mark (event) question on RS2

Hi,

To record an event on the RS2, is it simply a matter of shorting the Event pin to GND?

Thank you

Yes, EVENT and GND pin.

Ok so nothing special regarding voltage or anything, a simple contact closure does it. Do you know what the minimum and maximum time is to ensure the event is registered?

Time mark input is current limited and clamped to 3.3V. It should register an event above 0,5V.
Its TTL, so it register 1 event driving pin down and 1 event driving it up.
E.g if you shortcut event and GND, 1 event will be created. Releasing the shortcut will creat another event.

Hi Francis,

Just wanted to confirm that you can shortcut the event and GND pins to create events. As @TB_RTK noticed, the event pin is waiting for the rising/falling edge signals.

Doing some testing, we noticed that if the pulse is short, it only records 1 event. If it’s longer, then it records both the rising and falling edges.
Can you tell me under what amount of time exactly the unit registers 1 vs 2 events?
Thank you

Hi Francis,

Every event in the UBX log includes 2 records with the rising and fallen edge. The minimum time between the registered events depends on the Update rate (GNSS settings tab). For instance, if the update rate is set to 1 Hz and the pulse length is 1 s or more, both edges will be considered.

Hi,

We did testing, and at 5hz logging it will record sometimes one, sometimes 2 events with a pulse length of either 0.1s or 0.15s. So it seems that sample rate has nothing to do with the number of recorded events.

I can send logs on request.

It would be useful to add a setting to choose whether someone wants both edges, only rising edge or only falling edge.

We will try getting the pulse to 0.25s to force double events all the time and drop half the events.

Hi Francis,

I’ll discuss it with the team to provide you with the most exact info. The logs can indeed be helpful, so please share them with me. Do you convert UBX to RINEX after the survey or record RINEX on Reach RS2 right away?

Hi,

Julia Shestakova has some logs from another issue I submitted.

We record in UBX and convert using Emlid Studio.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Francis,

Let me describe how it works from our side. Each camera event relates to 1 falling and 1 rising edge. In RINEX, we leave only falling edges. That’s why there should be 1 time mark for each photo. Since the rising edges are removed during the conversion to RINEX, the option to choose between rising and falling edges won’t work for the Emlid Studio PPK workflow.

If I get it right, you see that some events are doubled in the RINEX log. Such issues are most often related to the setup. Your setup for time mark collection is much more complex than the one with the hot shoe connection we usually recommend. It’s hard to check what can go wrong there remotely.

I have a couple of suggestions that can help, though. You can use a short pulse (10ms) with reverse polarity to generate time marks. Also, the time mark collecting process can be affected by interference. You can check how wires are placed to ensure it’s not the case.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.