Time for observing a known point by emlid reach and the reason

Hi there,
How long I should leave the Emlid Reach receiver to create a known point in the field? and why?
some GNSS models require at least two hours for measuring a known point

Thanks so much,

The longer the better, but it depends on your use-case. If you are needing absolute accuracy and want to survey that will tie into other registered points then I would say an hour is probably a good practice, but if you have a base and rover then setup the base off the point and log the point with the rover for 10-15 minutes. You can then PPK the point and you should be more accurate than just letting the base log. You could use RTK, but I personally would be more comfortable seeing the data and doing PPK.

Others here like to use CORS/VRS type services, but I am not sure if that is an option in your area. This would be a good option if you only have one receiver then you could PPK the receiver you have against the service’s base. Some offer live services and others provide a place that you can download the hourly logs.

1 Like

Hi!

You can also do PPP processing. I think, it will be the most precise way, how you can obtain a known point in the field with only one GNSS receiver.

You might want to give the user the differences between PPP and PPK. It can be confusing and they probably want better than decimeter accuracy.

I agree. This article describes PPP in a good and understandable way - Precise Point Positioning - Navipedia

2 Likes

@jurijs.jeshkins, what software do you use for PPP? I came across this one time on the NOAA website.

https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/gps-toolbox/GAMP.htm

I haven’t tried yet, but I know, that some users successfully used Canadian one:
https://webapp.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/geod/tools-outils/ppp.php

2 Likes

I have good experience with NRCAN.
But you have to have patience compared to PPK. If you want 1 digit centimeter precision, you need 12 hours or more obs time, and then you need to wait weeks for the final igs product, before you submit.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.