The signal quality drops after some time - cannot recover

We are using Reach RTK (not RS) kit with 2 modules, one acts as a base. While usually everything works well, sometimes the signal quality drops. And after that, it doesn’t recover from that. Usually a restart is needed (or once we even skipped for that day and tried again the next day). Here is one picture:

You see the signal-to-noise ratio. Usually there are at least few green bars.
Below you see the history of points. While most of the day the signal was good (the green dots indicating the FIX) - you can see the path is quite linear, there is one jagged line. This is the results we are getting at that point. And it didn’t recover after 10 minutes.

Any suggestions, how we could get the signal better? We are using the antennas provided with the modules. Is there an option to buy a better antennas? Also, the cable from antenna to the module is about 3 meters (we use one extension cable). But then again, we have a fix status for about 20% of time. The rest of the time it’s float, but it’s still quite ok. This jagged behavior is bad.

Thanks for any suggestion!

Additional question, would it help if we used Reach RS as a rover? Can it work along with Reach RTK base? What is the difference between RS and non-RS modules? Do they have the same hardware?

I think one of the first things is which version of ReachView are you running?

Does this matter? It’s not the latest. But I use TCP to read data from the module. Is this also affected by the version of ReachView? I will try to update and see. But today there were no problems with GPS (still the same old version of ReachView).

I’m not trying to be rude, but yes it matters for any request. Otherwise the people giving support have to think of every potential problem from every version of ReachView. Or if they assume you have the latest version and then may give you bad support information that doesn’t apply to the version you are using.

You had to erase the #1 requested item for that very information when you made this post:

Before creating a new thread please refer to Quickstart guides for Reach and Reach RS.

In case you are creating a thread about an issue it is necessary to provide following information to get help:

  1. Firmware image and ReachView version.
  2. Detailed problem description. How does observed behavior differ from the expected one?
  3. Your step by step actions.
  4. Picture of the setup and connection scheme.
  5. If using any additional hardware please provide exact make and model.

I know I am sounding rude, but really trying to be helpful for you and everyone else reading!

Also, one of the first things that will be suggested to you is upgrade to the latest version and see if your problem goes away!

1 Like

The problem I have with the “firmware versions” is that it makes me think that some versions don’t produce the same results. Makes ya wonder sometimes about consistency between them…

Yep, each one should be better than the last. Back end processing defaults get changed now and again. It is all part of the evolution.

Sure, the risk on upgrade was a little higher in the past, but notice that ReachView has just recently split into stable and development branches. You can pick either one. If you are worried about upgrades and everything works - don’t upgrade in the middle of an important project. Wait until you are done, then when you upgrade, stick to the stable branch. Or if you are hungry for the latest features, then go with the development branch. If you don’t like it, you can always reflash back to the stable branch.

Back to @ago’s problem though. I’ll bet an upgrade will help, but let us also see if there are any other suggestions for him.


Thanks, I will do the update. But as this problem did not occur often (may-be in 1 out of 100 tests), I cannot reproduce it. But I will keep an eye on it after the update.

My impression was that ReachView is just an UI which presents the data. So I didn’t think this was important. The firmware is up to date (this is something I do check often).

It is interesting that the problem is repeatable, but so infrequently.

ReachView is just a UI, but when you run an update, it is actually checking for updates to all of many software packages. That includes ReachView, its components, the RTKLIB software, the firmware for the uBlox chip, all the operating system utilities, kernel updates, everything.

So yes, when you update it may just update the main ReachView package or it may update a number of things.

Only 100 tests to go before we know if it worked though! That might take a while :slight_smile:

Interesting problem. If the problem persists after an update, please include a system report of a problematic run. Also, some pictures and description of your rover’s hardware setup will be very helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.