Talking to Navio2 + RP3A+ via Wifi

Hi Everyone! While waiting for my NAVIO2 to be delivered :partying_face::partying_face: I still have to clarify a topic I’ve been searching around but I’m not sure about: how to exchange data with the drone

My goal is to build up a drone (Navio2+RP3A+) and control it only via my mac: basically I would like to send instructions “fly to that point or a set of points” in real time from my mac and retrieve periodically all the telemetry data (battery voltage level, GPS satellites, temp, etc) to make sure everything is ok. I’m not interested in video streaming on a first step …

Is that something I can do by using the Wifi module of the RP3A+ or is it necessary to buy an additional telemetry module?

By using Wifi, what is the range I could possibly reach and is there a way to improve it? I need to send and receive only simple data (for example the next point where I want to navigate or the Return to Home Signal and be updated about the current drone coordinates). Maybe a special router on the ground could help to boost the signal?

Hi Emanuel,

how to exchange data with the drone

You can connect Navio2 to GCS (Mission Planner, QGC) on your laptop or phone to get all the required information about your drone in real-time.

Is that something I can do by using the Wifi module of the RP3A+ or is it necessary to buy an additional telemetry module?

The range of built-in Wi-Fi module on the RPi isn’t suitable for drone telemetry. It’s better to use an additional module for this purpose (Wi-Fi or radio).

By using Wifi, what is the range I could possibly reach and is there a way to improve it?

Range mostly depends on the specifications of telemetry modules and can vary from a few meters to several kilometers. I’m afraid we can’t recommend any specific model, usually, users choose them depending on the project requirements.