Surveying Bearings

First of all, I’m so glad to see some tools available in emlid flow app v.10.3.

Currently we have to convert all of our survey bearings to azimuth to use these features, it’s a bit of a headache It would be great if there was an angular unit’s option for survey bearings E.g. N 89.5959 W

It’s not a big deal if you only have to do a few but when you have hundreds of lines to deal with it gets annoying and slows the workflow significantly.

pretty much any land surveying app in the business has this as an option, so I would love to see it at some point in this great app! it’s truly a joy to use overall.

as a side note if the above is not an option the ability to select the azimuth between two points in the traverse tool would also be invaluable at least it would allow us to locate two points for a reference and use that to calc some quick and dirty points to find corners.

Thanks for all your hard work you guys are amazing!

1 Like

Hi Aaron, Welcome to the community!

We are glad to hear that you enjoy using our app, and like to hear your feedback to improve our products.

Could you share more details about your workflow for this? Do you want to select some azimuth intervals between two points? Is it an intersection?

2 Likes

Hi,
Apologies for the delay been very busy lately.

we just need the ability to use quadrant bearings like pretty much every other survey software allows.
we were using field genius to do all our work but since they broke the driver, we cannot use it at all. Flow is all we can use if we want to use tilt compensation and it’s been fine, it’s just frustrating not having quadrant bearing support because we have to convert from azimuth to quadrant bearings for every inverse and every time, we use traverse.

3 Likes

I noticed Microsurvey released a ANDROID ONLY update a few days ago? (Version 2.6.2.9460) There is NO release notes information for this update, so probably something minor? So don’t get your hopes up. But maybe worth giving a shot to see if anything helps???

Emlid (and customers) should really pressure Microsurvey. They (MS) are very slow about some of this which is a shame as probably the best 3rd party survey software out there.

APK:
https://s3.microsurvey.com/fieldgenius_android/FGA_2.x/2.6/com.microsurvey.fieldgenius%20v%202.6.2.9460.apk

3 Likes

I agree with you @aricee23 . You should at least have the option to select either azimuth or bearings. I don’t use the Emlid Flow app much due to office responsibilities, but the few times I have it’s kinda cumbersome to use azimuths.

I’m from the old school surveying since 1972 and azimuths were part of our procedure and it’s not really hard for me. I have to switch back and forth from my HP50 app to convert bearing’s to azimuths. Most survey data and maps are bearing based, but have seen a few with azimuths.

If entering bearings, you should have the capability to enter a bearing of N12°15’15"E as 112.1515.

NE quadrant=1, SE=2, SW=3 and NW=4

5 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check it out

@aricee23 and @EBE111057 Thank you for sharing your workflows. I am passing these to the team.

1 Like