Surveyed points and logged track disagree by similar distance each time

In brief, here’s the google earth overlay. Ignore the image’s marked field lines, which are obviously wonky (and 3 years ago), and that google imagery isn’t always located very well (although the permanent 0m and 100m lines, and shotput waypoints seem perfect…). The important point is that I marked the points at the intersections of the field lines, which are where I turned and walked across the field, yet it appears all my waypoints are about 1.5m south of these intersections. It also appears the waypoints don’t line up with where I stood for a minute collecting the points.

In detail:
I walked an RTK survey today of a local sports field. I created a survey and marked points along the boundary lines, at their intersecting meter lines. I had fix the entire time, using all satellites other than Glonass (30 satellites! :smiley:), and a local reach radio base station in the centre of the field that I located using 10 minutes of fix from a NTRIP station 65km south. The survey points were taken during the same time period as I walked the perimeter of the field, then I walked the horizontal tracks of the lines (in the same log file)

At first I assumed the icons weren’t indicating the actual position, however the waypoint latitude and longitude don’t line up with the mouse-over lat,lon of the intersections either. I then assumed maybe it was a projection error, but everything is set to WGS84/EPSG:4326. I don’t think I’ve done anything silly like including an offset during kml generation, etc.

Reach 2.8, RTK tools b27, reach (non-rs) rtk kit.
Here are my logfiles if needed:Oval-GeoJSON.zip (2.5 KB)
base_201709070705_RTCM3.zip (2.7 MB)
raw_201709070705_UBX.zip (9.4 MB)

I cut the first few minutes of the rover log in my kml to remove walking to the start position and setting up.

Also, I noticed the single solution plot is pretty good, just thought I’d show it off. I postprocessed the same log without base corrections: Blue is dgps, red is single.

So TL:DR is, does anyone know why survey points don’t line up with logged tracks? Should I trust the survey points, or the track? Can I better process the logs to fit the surveyed points better in the future?

Thanks for your time.

Just a quick question. Did you use fix&hold?

The best guess is that you didn’t set the base coordinate for post processing for the same value as during RTK work.

Ah, you’re correct. Well spotted! I grabbed the co-ordinates I used on my base reach during surveying and re-processed the rover log with those co-ordinates and it’s perfect.

My mistake was post-processing my base position and using the average co-ordinates from the hour or so of log for the rover post-processing, but only using the first 10 minutes of fix averaging to set the base co-ordinates used in the survey.

Thanks to you both for your help.

1 Like

I have a similar but slightly different problem.
I used a 5 minute FIX average to set up my base This gave:
-42.8936957001N 147.494136.065E and Ht 0.663m (the reference was Hobart AusPOS site)

When I look in my Rinex Header (if I process my rover using rinex header base position) I see the rinex header reads:
ref pos :-42.893683421 147.494123077 16.9164

Why are these numbers different?

hello dude, how much time takes to come in fix mode? can u say me

It really depends on your conditions. I had pretty perfect satellites with all constellations other than glonass enabled, for a total of 30 satellites in view. My reach base station was on static mode with a ntrip correction 65km away, and after a hot start I would say within several minutes on average. Some times it takes 10 minutes, other times it takes 1. I think most recently my base station didn’t get fix for 10 minutes, but once I started my rover it got and held fix within 2 minutes. There should be plenty of discussion around these forums on other users typical experience getting fix, how they set up their equipment, and their personal anecdotes.

This topic was automatically closed after 100 days. New replies are no longer allowed.