Station file empty

I am just starting out with Emlid with an RS3. My intended use is to do basic PPK surveys with my own base (non emlid, but not important for this question) for post-processed results from a remote location.

I am able to download the logs onto my computer, where I convert the rinex files into GBP files for my processing software Novatel’s Waypoint Inertial Explorer.

Here I can see the individual epochs as I walked around my driveway surveying test points, which I gave names to within the Emlid Flow app.

However, the .sta file is empty and none of these named points show up in the converted file.

So my questions are…

• Am I saving the points wrong within Emlid Flow? Seems hard to believe: the app asks for a name, I give it one, save it, and it shows up in the map view with that name.

• Is the Rinex file not capturing those named points? I’m saving as rinex 3.03 and when I search the three files in a text editor for the my point names, they do not appear. This seems to be the problem.

• Is Intertial Explorer not finding the named points or converting them? Given that they do not appear in the rinex files, I don’t think Inertial Explorer is the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I am not familiar with Waypoint Inertial Explorer, but you are right that the point names are not saved on the RINEX file. Reach receivers’ raw data logging option does not affect or relate to Emlid Flow’s collector tool in any way. These two functions are independent of each other.

When you enable data logging, only the details you specified on the logging page (Antenna height, Marker name) will be saved on the header of the RINEX file.

2 Likes

Thank you Ruth, this was my suspicion. However I’m unclear then of what value these receivers are in PPK surveying of points if there is no way to extract the point names along with the GPS time they were recorded. Perhaps (hopefully!) I am missing something, but all I see in the export file of point names is a pre-processed position solution. Such output is useful in RTK surveying where the final corrections are made within the receiver, but of course with PPK the whole point is to get a position after processing against a base. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! -Matt

Hi Matt,

I’m not sure how it works with the software you mentioned. However, Emlid Studio, our PPK software, has a similar workflow called Stop & Go. With Emlid Studio, you can post-process the points you collected with a Reach receiver.

The PPK workflow involves obtaining the precise track of measurements using raw data logs from a base and a rover. Then, the epochs from the output, the .pos file, will be interpolated with
averaging periods from the CSV. What you will get after is a corrected CSV.

You can read more about Stop & Go processing here.

Thanks Ruth. I’m still confused: my CSV files from emlid flow have no time fields – am I exporting it wrong?

Hi Matt,

There should be. Don’t use the PENZD or custom CSV export. Instead, please use the full CSV export (the first one on the list).