Static IP on Reach

Hi, I’m trying to do something like this but we don’t have root access anymore.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Benjamín,

Could you please elaborate a bit on why do you need a static IP for your application? It will help check what we can suggest.

1 Like

Hi Kseniia,

I am trying to connect my reach modules to a wifi network of a system that is configured to work with static IP connections, without DHCP.
Normally I configure each device, for example a Raspberry Pi by changing system files (/etc/dhcpcd.conf and /etc/network/interfaces) to assign an IP directly from the device. But I haven’t found a way to do something similar with these.
The closest thing has been to interact by SSH with both models, but I do not have access to the password of the “root” user, in order to have the corresponding permissions to be able to make the changes I require.
Is there any other approach that I can try to integrate these devices to my network?
I am very happy with the preliminary tests that I have carried out on another local network, but when trying to integrate them into the system where they would be operating day by day, I ran into this problem.

Thank you in advance!

Why not just do static DHCP where you assign IP’s to specific MAC’s?

I can’t work with MACs because it’s a system that works all over the world and I need it to work in a way that if I replace a device, it should work without changing anything else (only setting up the new device by itself but not touching the router or network in any way),
For example, I have a Raspberry Pi on my system, if anything fails and I have to remove it and change it, I have another one with the same Static IP configured ready to go as soon as posible.

1 Like

Hi Benjamín,

You are right, it’s not possible to apply such changes via SSH.

May I ask you to tell me more about how static IPs are used on your system? It would help me check if I can find an alternative for you.

1 Like

Hi! I sent you a private message with more details some days ago :slight_smile:

Hi Benjamín,

Thank you!

I just wanted to comment on why we don’t provide root access on the public part of the Forum as well.

When we add new features or fixes, we thoroughly test the code to ensure its flawless work. If anything is changed with root access after that, it may affect the units’ and software’s operation. In this case, we wouldn’t see the whole picture of what’s going on with the device, and the troubleshooting process might become quite complicated. That’s why there’s access to the ‘reach’ user only.

1 Like

I just want to put in a general vote for giving the ability to configure a static IP on a Reach RS2.

There are situations where one is forced to use a network with buggy or mis-configured routers / DHCP servers, or when one has no administrative access to the DHCP server to try to assign a “quasi” static IP by using MAC address assignment.

Please just add the ability to configure a plain static IP address, this is a standard feature in 99.9% of network devices such as printers, plotters, WiFi access points, network-attached storage devices, Roku / Amazon Fire home streaming devices, and more. Setting a plain & simple static IP gives a level of assurance that can never be had when depending on DHCP. It is also useful and even necessary at times in order to try to troubleshoot flaky DHCP servers on some LANs.

3 Likes

Hi @manscuto842,

IP management can be done from the router or a SIM card side. If you use Reach RS2, you can assign a Static IP for a SIM card with your cellular network operator. It will allow accessing the receiver remotely to configure it or check the current position. Please note that Static IP provides only public access. It means everyone who knows the IP address can connect to the receiver.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.