SSH and HTTP to Reach over USB (Windows 10)

It seems that the document describing setup to the Reach over USB has been removed. Here’s how I did it from a Windows 10 laptop (correct me if I’m wrong!):

First of all, ensure that the Standalone Windows Driver for Edison (http://files.emlid.com/firmware-reflashing-tool/IntelEdisonDriverSetup1.2.1.exe) has been installed.

If you want to check what IP address the Reach offers, connect to it over WiFi and from the command line (I use cygwin, but other SSH possibilities are available)

• ssh root@192.168.42.1
    (if using the Reach’s hotspot, otherwise the IP address that it was given by your own WiFi network)
  • From the ssh session, use “ifconfig -a” to see what IP address interface “usb0” is offering. Mine (default settings) is 192.168.2.15
  • Exit the ssh session (e.g. with “logout” or Ctrl-D)

In your Windows 10 PC, open Network and Internet Settings (e.g. by right-clicking the internet icon), and then click “Change Adapter Options”.

• Find the interface whose type is “Intel Edison USB RNDIS Device” and select it.
  • Either right-click the interface and click “Properties”, or from the Change Adapter Options window click “Change settings of this connection”
  • Select the line “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” - it should be ticked.
  • Click “Properties”.
  • Click the radio button “Use the following IP address”
  • Choose your own address. For the default settings, Intel recommends 192.168.2.2.
  • Make sure the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 - this is what distinguishes this interface from the other IP interfaces on your PC: it means all requests beginning 192.168.2. will go through this interface.
  • Default gateway can be the IP address of the Reach’s usb0 interface (default 192.168.2.15).
  • Click OK
  • Click Close on the previous pop-up window.
  • You can now close the “Change Adapter Options” and “Network and Internet Settings” windows.

You should now be able to get a page via 192.168.2.15 in your browser and be able to ssh in as root with the same address.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.