[SOLVED] Navio 2 PI CPU Usage 99% USB Telemetry

Hi, I am a new user.

Have installed a Navio2 board onto Pi 2 model B, downloaded the Navio 2 image and installed APM deb (Navio2) as per instructions. Have 3dr radios connected together (USB to the PI) & at baud rate of 57600.

Mission planner is connecting unreliably, I get “Only 1 Heartbeat Received” error initially, but typically connects on the second attempt. Once connected, Getting Params 1 takes about 90 seconds to complete.

I am starting Arducopter on the pi with the following command (via /etc/rc.local)

ArduCopter-quad -C /dev/ttyUSB0 57600 > /home/pi/startup_log &

The ArduCopter-quad process on the PI is running at 99% CPU, and the PI is very slow to respond to keyboard input.

The devices connected to the PI are a PI camera, keyboard, 3DR radio via USB & HDMI video.

If I start ArduCopter-quad -C /dev/ttyAMA0 57600, CPU usage is ~ 74%, and with no telemetry only a few %. I dont have the UART cable for the 3DR radio, so am not able to test Mission Planner connection.

Any advice regarding the high CPU usage with USB telemetry would be appreciated;

Cheers,

Stu.

Will check on that, thank you for your report.

@Stu74

Hello!
Please run raspbi-config and disable serial console (Advanced -> Serial console),first.
Could you please disconnect all the devices and repeat you steps once again? I’m particularly interested if there is a performance problem if you run ArduCopter-quad without any Argumets at all.

I also have another guess. Is your SD card new? Could you run fsck or the like on it to get this issue out the way.

Hi George,

Here are the results of testing as requested;

Disable serial console and restart, used -C /dev/ttyUSB0 - Still used 99% processor
Kill ArduCopter process, restart with no telemetry ~ 10% CPU usage

SD Card was new out the pack, performed fsck on boot, via shutdown -rF now
No changes to the above test results;

I have re downloaded the .img file and gone through the install process again, including disable serial console. This time used another SD card.

The behavior is now as expected, CPU usage ~ 15%, PI console is usable again. Mission planner connects reliability first time, trajectory data is being received OK.

Cheers,

Stu.

1 Like