Sim card or hotspot?

Hello everyone. I am learning to use RS2 Rover only by connecting to the NTRIP network. I have some difficulties but I will try to disturb as little as possible. My question is the following: is the best FIX connection using the SIM card inside the RS2 or being connected in hotspot with the smartphone? Or does nothing change? Thanks

1 Like

Hi @alekar77, this really depends on your locale and experience. In my opinion, in the US, the least issues can arise when using a mobile hotspot/jetpack versus a SIM card. That being said, if you are wanting to to RTK over IP, I can see why having a SIM in your base would be better than having a hotspot at the base. If you are just doing NTRIP with your Rover, I would go hotspot/jetpack all day! Again, it depends on your locale and exact needs.

1 Like

@alekar77

If you are in the US I would go with the hotspot. The SIM card port in the RS2 only supports 2G and 3g, both of which have been discontinued by all the major cell carriers here!

1 Like

Hi @alekar77,

Welcome to our community forum!

I agree with other answers. There are no differences in most cases. You need to choose a connection based on where you are. If 2G and 3G will be shouted down in your country, you indeed need to use a mobile hotspot. But in some countries, we expect a 3G shutdown only. So, 2G should work fine there, and it should be enough to obtain a Fix with NTRIP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.