Shop List for a newbee

Hello everybody.

I want to start to build my quad based on Navio+ shield.

So I am tring to figure out a shopping list.

My doubts are on the motors area. Once I bought 4 motors… what else do I need to let them spin?

I guess:

4x Power module… then, what about connecting motors and navio? they should be directly connected to servos pin on Navio? Do I need something in between motors and Navio?

At the end of the page my shopping list is

1xNavio+
1xRaspberryPi
1xGPS antenna
1xwire pack for Navio
4xpower module
4xmotors
4xpropellers
1xLiPo batt
1x Batt charger
1x quad chassis

Can you correct/complete the above list?

Thanks in advance
Fabio

Hello Fabio,

Power module provides power to Raspberry Pi and Navio+ as well as measures current and battery voltage. You only need one.

To make the motors spin you will need ESCs, they connect to servo port on Navio+.

I would put it this way:
1xNavio+
1xRaspberryPi
1xGPS antenna
1xwire pack for Navio
1xpower module
4xmotors
4xESC
4xpropellers (Better get more)
1xLiPo batt (Betetr get several)
1x Batt charger
1x quad chassis

Thanks Igor for your reply.

And I guess I have to choose the ESCs according to motors I choose…

And motor has to be chosen depending on lift weight I need…

So ESC must be connected to motor, then to servo output on Navio and … to battery output, right?

Ciao
Fabio

Fabio, yes you are absolutely right.

Hi Igor… another doubt:

What about the radio link between the quad and the PC running control software? Does it rely upon the wifi connection possibly offered by Raspberry + USB wifi dongle?

Or I must buy the radio module shown here (http://www.emlid.com/navio-hardware-setup-apm/) ?

I suppose that radio module could also work with a RC remote control sticks…

Thanks in advance for your support.
Fabio

It depends on how you setup APM, there are 2 main ways to connect:

1. Serial
  2. UDP/TCP

You can send telemetry over UART Radios (3DR radio for example), over Wi-Fi, BT, 3G or any other USB networking device. Keep in mind range of Wi-fi.

Hi Fabio, it seems to me you are an beginner regarding RC controlled vehicles. Please do not get me wrong, everyone is a beginner with something at some point.
I am writing out of an concern, regarding your safety.
While a regular brushless motor seems to be small, they pack a tremendous amount of power. The prop is spinning with several 1000rpm and if there is something/somebody in the way, it can get very nasty.
Please keep that in mind and never test anything with the props mounted on the motors.

Hi Sebastian,

You are absolutely right, I am a beginner. Thanks for your suggestions, they are valuable but I want to assure all of you that I everything I will do, I will do safetly.

Thanks
Fabio

Hey Igor,

can I ask about an approximately estimation about when could I get the NAVIO+ shipment if I order it right now? I live in Italy.

Thanks
Fabio

Fabio, Navio+ is currently on backorder and we set the shipping date to 5th February. If you make an order right now with DHL delivery I would say 10th February is a very realistic estimation.

Thanks Igor,

I’ve made the order right now with DHL delivery! Let the countdown to Feb 10th begin :slight_smile:

F

Fabio, thank you for your order! We will do our best to deliver on time :slight_smile:

Hello Igor,

so did NAVIO+ become available?

F

Hello Fabio,

The boards just moved in the warehouse. They are now being processed and prepared for shipping. Sorry about the delay, we will ship all orders within a few days.

Fabio, we have shipped all backorders today. :tada:

Many thanks Igor,

I received also shipment confirmation email, and I am already able to track my item. Well done!

Wishing I had dropped a few extra dollars on DHL. I also got my shipping notice, but the expected delivery date is March 4th in California… yeesh.

The expected delivery date is usually much further than the actual delivery. From our experience, AirMail shipments to the USA get there in 10-14 days.

Ah, well that’s much closer to a manageable wait time. Thanks for the clarification. I’m just very anxious to dive into this platform! :wink:

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled OP thread topic)

Navio+ arrived yesterday… going to put hands on it!