Setup of Reach RS2 as standalone

In

refers to either base or rover setup, but how to actually setup for stand-alone use,
I mean, having one single RS2 and wifi access for cm precision?
Agus

1 Like

Hi Augus,

Let me just point straight away that for the centimeter-level accuracy, you will need an RTK solution. This means that you will need to connect Reach RS2 to the base. If you don’t, its accuracy in a standalone mode is not better than you phone’s - around a few meters.

Still, you can use just one Reach RS2 to obtain the centimeter-accurate position. It happens when you work with NTRIP services. This is pretty much the same base and rover setup, you just connect to a base placed and run by someone else.

For the connection, you need your service’s credentials and an Internet connection on your Reach: you can either connect it to an external Wi-Fi network or use the internal cellular modem. Please note that depending on the country and region, the NTRIP services have fees.

1 Like

Thanks,
I certainly do understand that I need to connect to an ntrip service via internet, either internal or through the smartphone, for my RS2 to achieve cm accuracy. Nevertheless, your answer is ambiguous:
“This is pretty much the same base and rover setup”
it has to be one or the other: should I understand that I need to set up my RS2 as for rover? Considering the use via NTRIP is probably the most common, I think this issue should be clearly stated in the manual.

Agus,

Yes, your Reach RS2 is the rover when you connect it to the NTRIP service. The NTRIP service essentially is the network of different base stations.

The service gives you access credentials, you insert them on your rover and, voila, you’re receiving the corrections. This process is described in our text guide about Working with NTRIP, I’ve linked it above as well. Also, I’d suggest checking our video Reach RS2: RTK over NTRIP where we present a step by step explanation.

Thanks.
Please note that the video
Reach RS2: First Start
included in

uses ReachView2, which is confusing.

That’s true, the video was there before ReachView 3 release. We’ll update it for sure. It still does well to explain the main configurational points, I’d say.

The text variant of this video, our guide, is fully updated with the screenshots from the new ReachView 3 app. So please use it to avoid confusion.

ok thanks, both documents and video are excellent documentation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.