I ordered the Tuffwing and would not recommend it:
- No backup support, I emailed multiple times, no reply.
- The antenna position reduced the number of satellites my drone GPS could use, so sometimes could not take off.
- Depending on what the drone was doing, the collision avoidance system would be kicked off by the antenna running up between the sensors.
- I’m not sure if this is specifically about Tuffwing, but I’m getting a lot of interference which is causing lack of PPK fix. Recommendations to remedy it include wrapping the reach in aluminium foil and changing antenna to the helical.
- Finally, the Tuffwing recommendation for the antenna wasn’t up to snuff, I should’ve gotten a helical GNSS antenna.
With all that in mind, I’m now looking at the Metta Technologies kit:
- It’s antenna placement is offset to the side, so it shouldn’t disrupt the onboard GPS.
- The kit comes with an adaptor for the helical antenna.
- Uses a standalone Reach M+, which I already have.
- Its powered by the drone, but I will buy the optional battery pack to avoid hassles in post processing.
I do have a few questions, which I hope you can answer, I’m trying to keep this post as pointed as possible for future searchers.
- What is the best helical antenna I can buy for this kit? The HC771 Tallysman has been previously recommended, Metta don’t make a recommendation.
- There appears to be a loose wire out the front of the drone, does this cause a collision warning?
- Has anyone had any interference issues with this setup?
Any further information would be great.
EDIT: I have a Phantom 4 Pro V2